Chapter 48: You're My Everything

I unpublished this chapter, rewrote it, and then published it again (reasons are explained at the end). Most of it is the same, so you're welcome to wait for the epilogue, but I just didn't like where the original version of this chapter went. Thank you :)

---------

I'm hungry, I'm tired, and my butt hurts.

I've been sitting on the edge of a cliff with Aaron ever since we left the park, and the sun set an hour or two ago. We watched it sink below the horizon in silence, never once speaking.

Waves are smacking against the bottom of the cliff, angry, and the wind is whipping my hair around my face.

I've never been one for silence. Yes, I tolerate it, but not if it's awkward. And this silence right now is awkward.

It's closing my throat up, making my heart pound in my chest, and all I want to do is run.

But I can't.

I would be running from Aaron, and I know that Aaron would follow me anywhere I go, wherever I run.

And while my first instinct is to hate that, to hate that he would follow me everywhere, I come to realize how lucky I am. How lucky I am to have someone like that, someone like Aaron, even if he hurt me.

I should give him the chance to explain, to tell me exactly what happened, but it's so hard. I'm split in half right now, torn between the decision of running or staying, of hating or loving.

Stars shimmer in the sky, my neck craned back as I stare up at them.

There's something different about looking at the stars and looking at the stars with Aaron.

It's more magical, more special of an event. Being with him makes everything better.

"You remind me of the stars sometimes."

Though his words spoken out of the blue startle me, I manage to make my words come across as calm and collected. "How so?"

I'm not looking at him, but I know he's shrugging. It's weird how I know his mannerisms like this, but it's kind of comforting at the same time.

"You're both beautiful, out of this world, special to me. To name a few reasons."

Honestly, I was kind of expecting the first two. But the last one? The last one causes my heart to squeeze in my chest, causes my palms to start sweating, causes my stomach to twist.

It hurts and makes me nervous and comforts me all at the same time. I don't know how to feel about that.

"Aaron?" I ask, my voice coming out softer than usual.

"Yeah?"

I bring my knees up to my chest and wrap my arms around them.

"You make me want to throw myself off of a 100-story building sometimes."

A few seconds of silence pass before Aaron breaks out in laughter. "God, I love you."

My heart warms in my chest, rising up and up in a glow of happiness, but it goes plummetting back down when the memory of Tracy taunting me enters my mind.

Is it always going to be like this? Am I always going to be thinking about Tracy and what she did with Aaron?

"I didn't kiss her, Cassie."

I hold in my scoff. "Right."

"I mean it," he insists. "Okay, our lips were touching, sure." The scoff comes out. "But I didn't want them to be. I tried pushing her away, but she's way stronger than she looks. I could never, would never, do that to you, Cassie. Ever."