Part 4

"Hello?!" A voice laced in concern shouted.

Jayne, resting in the forest, realised that from an outside perspective, that shrill she let out would've been concerning to those who heard it. She crawled up into a ball and remained silent in hopes that the person would soon give up trying to find her.

"Are you alright?" The voice spoke and was much closer this time, clearly addressing her.

Jayne popped her head up, only to see Christopherus, "I'm fine." Her entire attitude shifted and she stood up, "Screaming just relieves stress, I didn't think anyone else would hear me."

She turned to walk out of the forest and walk away from him. Chris sighed as he just watched her leave, relieved that no one was hurt but annoyed that she did scream in the first place. He needed a pay raise.

Jayne stopped and turned to face him, "How long do you plan to follow me?"

"As long as his highness wishes for it."

"Even if I go overseas?" She crossed her arms, raising a brow.

"If he demanded it, yes." Chris strutted out of the forest with Jayne.

"Tell him I've figured you out, and whilst I am flattered, I don't want someone following me."

"If he finds out I was caught, I'll be fired and someone new will be sent in my place."

Jayne groaned, "Whatever, just please, give him false reports, I don't feel free with you on my back." She pleaded.

Chris showed a look of sympathy, "You know I can't do that."

"Ugh!" Jayne groaned to the sky, "What's gonna happen then? It's not like you'll be here watching me until we're old and grey." Jayne stopped and looked at him, "This is my plan, okay, I'm just going to stay here for the rest of my days, this town has nothing, there are no crimes, there's a nice beach, it's the perfect place to live a quiet life, I assure you, so please leave." She deliberately left out the information about her plans to move abroad.

Chris looked down towards where the coast was, "I'll try, trust me, I don't want to be here either, no offence."

The two shared a mutual nod and went their separate ways, Jayne isolated herself in her house for the day, hoping Chris would leave the town soon so that she herself could leave the town when she earned the funds to.

-

In a world where writing, sending and receiving a letter is long and tedious, it is more convenient to speak through a kraight; a seashell enchanted by magic to be able to call other kraights, it was this world's version of a telephone.

Chris was using his kraight back at the inn he was staying at

"Your highness." He greeted.

"Christopherus, what news do you have for me?" The prince sounded jolly.

"Um, well you see," Chris had to choose his words wisely, "Jayne, she, I saw her burn your letter..."

There was no reply.

"Your highness?" Chris' heartbeat palpitated as the anticipation nearly killed him as he was holding his breath until the prince responded.

"Interesting..." A quiet reply came in. Chris was relieved he didn't sound annoyed or angry, in fact, the prince seemed to sound amused.

"Don't go peeping through her windows you perv."

Chris choked on his spit, "Your highness~"

"Ha!" He bellowed through the phone, "So she's been in that town for months now, hasn't she? Does it look like she's moving?"

"Uhh, no, your highness."

There was another pause.

"Well... I guess there's not much else to do, I can't force her to stay there, as long as she isn't doing anything stupid I guess everything's okay." From what Chris could tell, he sounded slightly dejected at the whole situation.

"Does that mean I should return to Telephylus, your highness?"

"Uhh... I guess, I just don't like the idea of her being alone, I mean she's a woman living alone, there's a lot of bad men out there..."

"The town she's living in is very local and isolated, I don't think there are any rapists around here."

"But there are bandits who are rapists." He immediately replied.

"And there hasn't been a single bandit case in this area is like two hundred years."

"Which means it's due another one soon."

Chris had to pull the kraight away from his face so the prince wouldn't hear him sigh heavily.

"I heard that you know, I have impeccable hearing."

"Sorry, your highness, it's just that, being here and observing the town, the chances of something bad happening is slim to none."

The prince groaned, "Fine, I guess, you can make plans to come back."

"Thank you, your highness."

And with that, Desmideus hung up the Kraight and tossed in on his desk. He was in his casual wear, with a lady in his bed.

"What was that about?"

He shot out of his chair, "That's none of your business." He snapped, something he rarely did to his partners, the girl flinched at his behaviour and Desmideus quickly caught himself, "Sorry love, it's just... as prince I have a lot of duties and tasks to fulfil, and sometimes they're not always successful," he plonked on the bed beside her.

"Who is she?"

Des lifted his head, raising a brow.

"You were talking about a 'she.'"

Desmideus could only laugh at her pathetic and petty behaviour, "And why do you care?" He crawled towards her.

"She sounded important."

"She's a fugitive." He toppled over her, "I'm simply trying to get her back, not that you need to worry about it love."  He gently cupped her neck and planted small kisses on her cheek, which travelled down to her jaw, which travelled down to her neck.

The only visible sounds that could be heard from outside where the shrills and giggles from the girl.