Ch.19 Checkmate

Chapter 19

The whole next week, Mavi did not see Owen. She stayed with her family and passed her time, counting each second and minute for the big event.

The end of November marked an important day for the Lycan and werewolf kingdom. On the last full moon of the month, they presented the moon goddess with offerings and celebrations to ensure another prosperous year. It was the time of the year the kingdom made important announcements. And this year they would be announcing the new head of the king's guard. Everyone important member of the kingdom will be there....it was a grand affair.

Ellanore and Gemma had been planning for weeks. Rye tried to help out, but she seemed to always head budding with Ellanore. It was safer for everyone if the two stayed apart.

Also with each passing day, Xavier's worries about Mavi slowly disappeared. She sat with him and interviewed new king's guards to join her when she returned to St. Rieka. It wasn't a hard choice. Alec and Liza would remain in their positions. A new member, Garry, would be joining them.

"I'm proud of you," Xavier said to Mavi the day before the festivities.

"Thank you," Mavi looked down at her speech.

"How's it coming along?" Xavier asked, eyeing the paper in her hands.

Mavi shrugged, "It's going."

Xavier chuckled, kissing the top of her head, "Don't be nervous, you'll do great."

Mavi took a deep breath, "I know."

The day was finally here. Mavi woke up super early and began her preparations. She sat patiently in her chair as the make- up artist and the hairdresser worked on her. Today, she was going to be the queen. To play the part, she needed to look the part.

Mavi had the brightest tiara brought out from the vault. She also picked the most eye-catching dress she could find. As she stood in front of the mirror, she held up her head high and relaxed her shoulders.

The dress fit her like a glove. It was heavily designed with stones and gems. The pale blue of the fabric made her skin look glossy and sheer. The long sleeves gave the whole look a regal air about it.

"Wow," Caspian said when he watched Mavi descend the stairs. "True Queen!"

Her whole family watched her with admiring eyes. Xavier and Rye were so proud of their little girl. She stood in front of them in that extraordinary dress with her hair in an updo and the tiara sparkling. Rye almost shed a tear.

Mavi tried to keep her nerves under control. She spoke very little and took several deep breaths. A few times Adam asked what was on her mind, but Mavi shook her head and blamed it on her nerves.

Then finally, the doors to the throne room were opened and the royal family walked in one by one. Xavier and Rye were the first to go, followed by Gemma and Exton.

When Mavi walked in, the room erupted in admiration. Everyone's face lit up at the sight of the future queen. It was the first time they were seeing her in such a way. She walked with her head held high and her eyes forward. Her steps were slow and calculated, allowing every pair of eye down the aisle to admire her. When she finally reached the second row, Mavi's eyes found the one she had been dreaming of all week.

Owen.

He stood with the King's Guards in a dark suit. Over his heart, he wore the pin of the King's guard that would be replaced today. His eyes locked with Mavi for the briefest second before she walked passed him to the stage.

Lawson helped Mavi onto the stage and walked her over to the podium. Mavi took a deep breath and looked out to the crowd. Everyone took a seat and waited for her to begin. Her eyes moved over the rows. Her family sat in the front row looking up at her with proud smiles. To their right were the king's guards. And on stage behind Mavi were the seven councilmen.