Chapter Seventy-Seven: Everyone Has a Story to Tell

"And deep down I know this never works but you can lay with me so it doesn't hurt

 "And deep down I know this never works but you can lay with me so it doesn't hurt. Oh, won't you stay with me? 'Cause you're all I need." 

— Sam Smith

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I've NEVER EATEN SO MUCH!!" Myrtle cheers, looking down at her food belly, finally full. I gaze at her, amused.

"Well, finally. You ate a whole cow." I chuckle, lifting my feet up against the library window-still, with my Potions book.

"It's seriously the first day of classes, and you're already studying." She groans, pointing at me.

"I know. I'm a perfect role model." I tease her. Only for us to quiet down when Slughorn enters the library. He walks up to us, and we instantly stand to greet him.

"Hello, professor." I smile up at him. "How was your summer?" I greet.

"Splendid! It was so enjoyable to finally relax for a bit." He grins at me. "And yourself, Valentine?" He asks, beaming.

I nod, smiling, looking at an uncomfortable Myrtle from the corner of my eye. "It was definitely exciting," I say, causing Myrtle to snort.

"That's one way of viewing it." She states. Slughorn turns to her, confused.

"Ah! Lovely to see you as well, Myrel." He gets her name wrong, causing her to flush a deep red. "Valentine! As you know, I have a special club where only the best of the best are invited. The Slug Club, as many call it. You are officially invited, my dear!! This Friday! Please be sure to come!!" He shoves a letter in my hands and leaves before I could argue that I really didn't feel like dressing up and going anywhere.

Myrtle grabs the letter from my frozen fingers and begins to read. "Apparently, it's a big deal." She scoffs. "Pan also has a club, you know. She'd going to be so mad when you go to Slughorn's club and not hers." She snickers.

"Are you in Pan's club?" I ask her, making her flush.

"I was sorted in Ravenclaw for a reason Val." She hisses at me, and I raise my brow at her disbelievingly.