Chapter Seventy-Eight: Ask And You Shall Receive

"Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering

"Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering."

― Nicole Krauss

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I want you to be one of the executives in charge of the duelling club." Albus smiles at me, handing me a paper with a list of names on it.  

I skim through it, realizing that it held all the names of the who had students signed up.

"Why me?" I groan, making Albus chuckle.

"Why not?" He muses. "You are most definitely one of the more powerful students here. There
will be an executive from each house." He states, and I give him a look.

"Don't tell me." I groan, flopping into the couch by his desk.

"Yes, Valentine..." Albus smiles, his blue eyes filled with mirth. "Mr. Riddle will be the executive of Slytherin. Mr. Moody, the executive of Ravenclaw and Ms. Longbottom for Gryffindor." He informs me, and I try not to gape.

"Longbottom??" I screech, hopping up and pointing at him. "AUGUSTA??" I almost scream. I'd met Neville's grandmother a couple times. She was a stern woman, but she really did care about her grandchild.

Maybe that was something I could change. The fate of Neville's parents.

Albus was staring at me like I'd gone mad.

"Yes. She is a current fifth year. The brightest witch in her year." He says slowly as if talking to a child.

"Wow," I say slowly. grabbing my head. "Wait!" I almost scream. "Do you know Minerva McGonagall?" I demand, and he stares at me industriously.

"Minerva? Why, yes." He muses. "Extremely powerful witch."

I nod slowly. "Yeah. Yeah, she is." I breathe and then groan.

"What's wrong, cousin?" Albus asks, kind as always.

"Is it wrong to be tired," I state. "I'm so tired," I state. "Tired with nothing....tired with everything, tired with the world's weight on my shoulders." I sigh.

"A weight you had never chosen to bear." Albus continues. "My dear child, It's alright to want to take a break." He tells me.

"The world never gives me one," I state a matter of factly.

"Sometimes, the world decides its own hero. You were chosen little one." He smiles at me sadly.

I wrap my arms around my legs, bringing them closer to my chest. I rest my chin on my knees.
"I wasn't given a choice." I croak, eyes flickering to the side. "I want to be normal," I admit.

"Normal is boring though.... isn't it?" He sends me a smile. I scoff and nod.

"Yeah... I guess so." I mumble.

Albus walks up to me and ruffles my hair. "Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who need it." He taps my head twice, walking away and looking down at me. "And help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it."

He smiles then. "Well? Will you be a duelling executive?" He asks me, and I nod.

"I'd be honoured to professor."