Chapter 18

Five years later......

Emma stood in front of the mirror in her room trying on an old dress that Demelza had given her. It wasn't a simple frock either, but a proper gown that she had seen many women wear. She had gone from a frightened waif into a strong woman. It had only been a few years, but it had gone by fast. Ross still hadn't found any information about where her family was...or even if any of them were still alive. Emma still hadn't given up hope that her family would come for her. She smoothed the skirt just to make sure there weren't any wrinkles and went down to the parlor where Ross and Demelza were with the children.
Ross found himself smiling when he saw Emma in the dress.
"Emma, you look," Ross paused and turned to put Clowerence on his knee so Emma wouldn't see him tearing up. "You look so beautiful."
Emma felt her cheeks grow hot. No one had ever told her that.
It was the next afternoon when Emma went to drop off some food at Drake and Morwenna's house when she ran into David. Well, she didn't really run into him; she happened to see him scything in a field near the village. She felt her chest tighten when she realized he wasn't wearing a shirt. Part of her wanted to keep watching, the other part wanted to hurry along and pretend she hadn't seen him.
Her face flushed and she pretended to act like she was daydreaming. When she went to bed that night, she couldn't help but imagine David. How he was standing in the field and had a sheen of sweat on his bare skin.