127 Transition (3)

When Song Jia entered the bus, there was only one other passenger than her. She chose the seat nearest to the door, clicking on her seatbelt.

The bus was old, but the speed was more or less still fast. It didn't take long for her to arrive at her house.

The other passenger was an old man. To her surprise, the two of them went down from the space bus together. Song Jia nodded and smiled at him, and the other party politely returned the greeting.

Song Jia's house was small but beautiful. There were plant boxes out front, filled with all kinds of flowers. The porch had a swing where Song Jia usually read the books she liked in the evening. As someone who liked history, Song Jia chose a rather retro design. But it still couldn't be helped that an impermeable barrier had to be constructed around the house, in accordance to the property laws and regulations of the planet.

Planet Anjing had a very unstable climate, so this was done for the protection of its citizens. Moreover, it was also for security.

Song Jia entered her passcode and settled her groceries on the porch. Just as she entered the door, she glanced sideways and saw that the old man was actually her neighbor. His house was a lot bigger than hers, with a more modern design. Did he live alone?

Not wanting to be nosy, Song Jia picked up her groceries and entered her house. She could have stored them in her storage space ring, but she liked imitating the vintage women she often read in history books.

Song Jia wasn't aware that behind her, the old man stopped what he was doing and glanced at her closed door. His eyes were unusually clear and his expression was troubled.

...

Song Jia cleaned out her storage space ring.

The size of her storage space was only 70 square feet, the size of a small room. Contraceptive pills and other objects were placed at the entrance, for easy reaching. Other objects, such as tents, clothes, and binoculars were placed at the middle. The farthest objects were naturally things Song Jia usually didn't need while on a mission.

The main difference between her storage space ring and the inter-spacial rings often mentioned in cultivation novels was that she couldn't retrieve objects at will. Their world had the technology to invent pocket dimensions, but telekinesis was still far from their reach. Brilliant scientists could invent objects that almost seemed like magic, but unfortunately, the rest of the population were stupid. Superpowers that used the brain could only be a far off dream for most of them.

For the next few days, Song Jia engaged herself in ordinary tasks to give her emotions time to calm down. Xiang Feng's life after she 'passed away' had affected her badly. She didn't expect that he wouldn't move on and would continue to grieve her death for most of his life.

Song Jia had read various researches where previous transmigrators like herself had gone crazy, because the world where they did their missions affected their emotions severely. Some had gotten pregnant and had to leave their babies; while some had fallen in love and wanted to stay with their beloved.

Before they could become professional transmigrators, they had taken an oath: to pledge that they would help save other worlds as much as they could, but not to the extent of risking their health. After all, at the end of the day, transmigrators were merely souls that did astral projection and occupied another body.

If they didn't come back and their original body had gone for too long without a soul, it would ultimately decay. Once the body of the transmigrator was deemed dead, the soul of the transmigrator would also die.

That's why for these transmigrators who had to force themselves into leaving the world where they left strong attachments behind, it would gradually give them psychological trauma and maybe even drive them crazy.

Song Jia thought of this, which was partly the reason why she stayed detached. But judging by Nova's lecture, her train of thought...seemed to be wrong?

Since this problem was giving her a headache, Song Jia spent the week reading books about grief. If she could lessen the sadness of the people on the world she left behind, maybe she wouldn't have to watch those terrible videos again.

Song Jia was also determined to keep the original host alive this time.

The result was that when she returned back to HQ and once again met Nova, he directly told her, "Your original host has a fatal disease, and she can only live for two more years. 886, please do your best to complete the mission."

Song Jia was speechless.

Seeing that she didn't react, Nova emotionlessly pumped his fists in the air to show his support.

"886, fighting~"

"..."

Watching him, Song Jia's face became a mixture of two Chinese characters. Not only '囧,' but also '川.' [1]

Can she hit him?

It would release all of her accumulated stress, ah~

[1] '囧' means 'jiong' or patterned window in Ch., and '川' means 'chuan' or river. The former kind of looks like an exasperated look, while the latter is the anime version of a frown between the eyebrows.