Chapter Seven

U N E D I T E D

As quickly as the gunfire began, it had stopped. 

The left side of the car lurched forward, sending me flying into the window of the passenger side. Henry grabbed my leg tightly to stop me sliding away too much. I didn't register the noise until after the car had stopped moving and my ears began to ring.

The sound was a deep, hollow explosion that echoed through my chest and popped my eardrums. The world span as I slid out of view of the windshield. I just hoped bullets couldn't go through car doors.

After a minute or two, I slowly poked my head up. Lightly squeezing Henry's hand.

"Is everyone okay?" Henry began.

I could hear in only the tone of his voice how secretly mad he was and Henry never gets mad. It was my fault this time, though. It felt ten times worse knowing this was my fault. It's usually something Spencer does.

"Is it over?" Spence said, "Is he gone?"

I mumbled a quick answer and hopped out of the car. Not ready to face Henry. Instead, I crouched low and inspected his tyres. Spencer stumbled out with me, holding onto my shoulder for support. I would have usually pushed him off but I just couldn't find it in myself to do so.

I saw Henry's bare feet in my peripheral vision, still shoeless from Spencer's prank which he was probably still mad about and even more so knowing that we've ruined his car.

"We can't do this anymore." Henry started in an eerily calm voice, only hiding his anger underneath a thin mask of calm. "One of us will get hurt. I told you guys this was too dangerous-"

"How was I supposed to know he had a gun!" I yelled, hating myself for yelling at Henry but not finding the willpower to stop. "It's not all my fault! This isn't my fault!"

"Har, stop shouting." 

"Shut up Spencer! For once in your life just shut up." I turned to Henry who had crossed his arms over his chest. "This isn't all on me-"

"I'm not saying it's on you. I'm saying that this has gone too far," He shook his head, "Har, he had a gun, you could've gotten seriously hurt. This isn't a game. Please."

I sighed, rubbing my hands over my face. Henry didn't say another word, instead turned around and pulled out his phone. 

I hated it when he was like this. Silent and seething. The only time I had ever seen him this angry or upset was when Spence dragged him into cheating off a test paper and he got caught. I looked back to Spence sat on the floor next to the car, poking and prodding at the deflated tyres.

I sat down next to him, pulling my knees up to my chest. "Maybe Henry's right."

"Fuck what he thinks."

I snapped my head over to Spence, seeing his wide grin spreading even further along his cheeks. I raised my brows, cocking my head to the side. He had a mischievous look to him, one that always got us in trouble.

"Huh?" Was all I could manage. The alcohol was making its grand entrance.

"Harlow that shit was so cool!" He slurred. "I've never felt more like I was going to die."

My eyes widened, maybe the whole gravity of the situation hadn't hit me yet. Spence pulled a strand of my hair and I swatted him away.

"You're talking like a lunatic." I laughed despite the situation, I felt light and airy. "We probably were gonna die."