Nineteen

Natasha sat at her desk, placing the plate down. A peanut butter and jelly sandwich sat innocently on the desktop, tempting her hunger. A alert buzzed and the holograms of Okyote, Rocket and Nebula, Rhodes, Carol and Emil flickered into life around the room.

Emil smiled and waved at her, prompting a smile back. "Hey Nat. How are you?" He asked. He was in his suit but with his mask pulled down to his chin. His hair had been cut shorter than the last time she'd seen him. The sides buzzed down to the skin with the top gelled up. He caught her staring and ruffled it self consciously.

"Oi kid", Rocket asked rudely. "What happened to your hair?"

Carol chuckled as Emil groaned. "Don't remind me. According to the natives here, it was a way of showing their gratitude. I had no idea why this happened".

"Well maybe you need to not challenge their warrior to a duel whilst drunk", Carol remarked. Rhodes and Okyote were smirking, whilst Rocket laughed. Natasha fought to hide her smile.

"I didn't know that drink was alcoholic", Emil complained.

"Speaking of natives", Rocket said after he had stopped laughing. "Thanks for that mission by the way. It was a garbage ship".

"Well, it was important info and you were closer", Carol shrugged.

"Now we smell like garbage". Rockets whining was ignored.

"Do you have anything on those tremors?" Natasha asked.

"It was a earthquake under the African plate", Okyote said.

"How are we handling it?"

"Nat", Okyote's voice was soft. "We handle it by not handling it".

"Right", Natasha paused for a moment. "Carol, Emil, are we seeing you here next month?"

"Not likely", Carol answered.

"What? Are you two getting more haircuts?" Rocket jeered.

"Listen fur face. I have a lot of territory to cover. What's happening on earth is happening on thousands of planets".

Rocket looked down, chastised. "Right. You've got a point".

"I should be returning soon", Emil spoke up. "I have learnt how to teleport to different planets. So I could return now if you want. Carol has no need for me at the moment".

Natasha looked impressed. "Really Emil? That's pretty useful. Are you sure you have no need for him?" The last question was directed towards Carol.

She shrugged with a teasing smile. "No. On planets I am familiar with, he's a great help. But on planets that I don't know, I'd much rather get intel first before adding more variables".

"Basically you don't want me holding you back", Emil grumbled. "Got ya".

"It's not that. It's just that I don't want to put you in danger because you're not as powerful as me", Carol continued. She had tried to phrase her words more gently but it didn't work.

Emil winced. "Ouch. Thanks. I get what you're saying though".

"Alright Emil, When can we expect you back?" Natasha asked, tying to stop Carol from digging a deeper hole. That woman was powerful, but verbally gentle she was not. Sometimes, her bluntness could be a hindrance.

"Right now if you want". No sooner than the words were said did a bright blue light emirate from the centre of the room. It grew brighter, expanding like a mini explosion and Emil appeared in the centre of the room.

He smiled at her warmly. "Hey Nat". She rose from her seat and pulled him into a hug. He was taller, having grown in the month he was away. His warmth was reassuring and Nat savoured it. When they finally pulled away it was with reluctance.

"Right", Nat coughed and turned back to the holograms. "If anything happens, any disturbance, it come through me".

All the holograms nodded and began disappear one by one. Only Rhodes stayed. Emil caught his eye and took that opportunity to tug off his boots. "I'm going to go and put some more comfortable clothes on. And maybe shower. Yeah I'm going to shower", He muttered as he walked out of the room. Nat, who was taking a bite out of her sandwich, nodded.

Emil sighed as he walked out into the hall. He followed the corridor down to his room on muscle memory. Now that he was back on earth, he felt exhausted. It was such a relief being somewhere safe and familiar. It made him tear up slightly as he remembered the recent anniversary. It had been two weeks since the anniversary of the snap. Just thinking about it made him feel empty inside. The planet he'd been on at the time, had thrown a parade. The citizens had celebrated that they were alive and that thrown strange floral plants to morn those who hadn't survived.

Emil stopped as Steve came from a room in front of him. "Uncle Steve!" He called joyfully. Steve turned and smiled.

"Emil!" He shouted in surprise. "I didn't know you were back. Weren't you supposed to arrive next month?" He pulled Emil into a huge hug. The strength of his arms was reassuringly comforting. Emil relaxed in his hold, feeling so so safe with his family.

"Yeah. Well, Carol didn't need me and I thought I'd drop by", Emil replied, voice slightly muffled in Steve's shoulder. The two of them parted, stepping back.

"Well, I'm in desperate need of a shower", Emil said awkwardly. He looked down, trying not to let Steve see his watery gaze.

"Emil", Steve's tone was warm and soft. He put a hand on his shoulder and Emil looked up. "I missed you. It's good to have you back".

"Yeah. It's good to be back", Emil replied. Steve patted him on the back a few times before Emil pulled away and continued walking towards his room.

"Like the haircut by the way", Steve called after him. Emil laughed around a sob.

After a long and throughly deserved hot shower, Emil made his way back to the main rooms. He was now dressed in a comfortable hoodie and a pair of black skinny jeans. The shower and time alone helped him reassemble his emotions. He padded along the floor bare footed, one hand playing with his newly shorn hair.

As he stepped around the door her froze. "Lang?" He asked in surprise. Scott Lang stopped his pacing and turned around.

"Hey little blue boy. Assassin kid. How are you? I haven't seen you since the airport in Berlin. You've grown". He smiled a Emil before going back to his pacing. Emil turned to look at a pair of very confused avengers.

"How and why is he here?" He asked. Steve and Natasha shrugged.

Unedited.