7

Cody, like most children when he's comfortable around people, talks, he tells them every little detail about his life and I learned that because he started doing it to me. He told me where you and Max lived in the first ten minutes but what he said next shocked me, I was reading him the next chapter of a Harry Potter book when he sighed and sat up. "But why is Voldemort fighting Harry ? When Dad and Kelsey fight the cops come, they stop and dad leaves for awhile, couldn't the cops have just come, stopped them and Voldemort could've taken a vacation ?" he asked and my heart broke for him a little, he thought the only way to stop a fight was to have the police intervene. "A vacation ?" I asked with my head titled as he nodded. "Must've been really good because he was gone for a full month. Me and Kelsey had to stay here though" he said sadly, I could see on his little face that he wished you two could've gone. That's why I've never seen you before, Max had only moved in recently, he lived with the three of you in the shared house before that, it made sense. The boy quickly stopped talking once he saw you coming over. "Can I take over, my eyes will fall out if I have to stare at that screen for any longer" you asked softly so I nodded and let you take my place. I was glad Cody said what he did and I was glad you found comfort here.

Cody idolised you and I knew that because you were all he talked about. Sure, he talked about Max but he didn't get the look of adoration in his eyes like he did with you. You decided to leave at 5:30 so you two could get dinner and he happily left with you. I stayed open for another three hours and it wasn't until I was locking up and walked into the back that I saw your phone sitting there, still plugged in and slightly overheating. There was absolutely no way you'd survive without this during the night. What if something happened to either you or Cody ? How could I live with myself knowing you couldn't contact anyone you cared about ? I was going to make Max something to eat but he had to wait. Cody did tell me your address so technically it wasn't weird to just turn up especially if I had something so valuable belonging to you. 

The shared house, the lights were on in the living room but all I could see was Eddi on the phone, deep in conversation. I knocked on the door but then I remembered you could've gone to spend the night at Max's, I was about to leave when Honey opened the door. She was wearing nothing but a robe and seemed to be mid-way through a self tanning session. "Christmas come early this year ?" she asked through a smile, my face told her I was confused but she ignored it and stepped to the side to let me in. She didn't even ask who I was or why I was here, now I know why you're so protective over her Kelsey, she let a complete stranger into your home. "So, you're Joe ?" she asked as we stood awkward in the hallway. I couldn't help but smile, you spoke about me and most importantly to your friends, she smiled right back at me. "I saw you on Kelsey's friend list on Facebook. She always has good looking men trying to talk to to her. Never gives in though" she began as Eddi came out of the living room with her arms folded. "Who's this ?" she asked sceptically, you didn't talk about me, I knew that because Eddi seemed to be one of the closer ones to you.

"He hired Kelsey" Honey said like the answer was obvious as Eddi nodded. "Uh huh, I'm still struggling to see why you let him into my home" she questioned, she had every right to question it but I just held up your phone. "She left this at the store but she's obviously not here so I'd better-"I began but Honey shook her head. "Don't be silly, she's right upstairs" she said, it was as if she was begging me to stay. "Honey" Eddi shouted while shaking her head and swatting her as the woman led me upstairs to the room at the end of the hallway with the half open door. Honey burst right in, you and Cody were obviously frightened, there seemed to be tranquility in the room, it was dark, the only light was your laptop screen because you two were in your pajamas, eating popcorn and watching a movie. "Visitor for you" honey announced while switching on the light as your eyes grew wide. "Joe ?" you shouted, of course, confused. Everyone in this house was confused except for Honey.

"He brought back your phone, isnt that so-" honey began but you shook your head. "How did you find out where I live" you asked, you sounded angry, I couldn't blame you but I wasn't expecting it. "Cody told me and usually I wouldn't do this but you left your phone and I knew you need it for work" I said frantically but you cut me off with a nod. "Thanks" you said bluntly while taking it out of my hand.

"We're having a party" Honey said excited as you turned on your phone. "You should come Joe, tomorrow, seven o clock as Kelsey's friend" she suggested but you were quick to shut it down. "I don't think I'll be there" you said annoyed, this anger wasn't towards me, it was Max, I knew it was. "You will" Honey said like it was obvious. "No. I might just go to Max's apartment with Cody" you began but she assured me you'd be there. Honey told me it would be a small gathering, but from your face I knew it wasn't going to be. I told her I'd have to think about it and left the room but I stood outside the door, I wasn't going to leave yet.

"What did you go and do that for ?" you asked sounding annoyed as Honey sighed. "I didn't invite him for you. I invited him for me" she said confidently as you sighed. "I'm going to kill Max when he turns up" you whisper shouted, just so Cody who was half asleep couldn't hear you. "Nothing yet ?" she asked. "No and I know he's not at Len's. He always lies about where he is over text. If he was at Len's he'd call me. Somethings up" you began but were interrupted. "Let's invite Len then. Question him" Honey suggested like it was the best idea ever and before I could hear your response I heard a voice.

"Everything alright" it barked. I looked up, Eddi. She was tall so looked me right in the eye. Her arms were folded. She wore fluffy leggings and a tank top. Her eyes were big and hazel. Her hair was short but curly. She was confident and I got all of that from the way she was standing. "Fine. Just returning Kelseys phone" I said, my head was down. I just wanted to leave now. "Right. That was a two second job why are you creeping in the hallway" she then asked me as I sighed. "Honey invited me to the party tomorrow. I was just getting the final details" I said but she stared through me so I took it as a cue to leave.

A party. Our first party together, a night where I was going to see you dressed up, not in work mode, a night away from Max and I presumed you'd have a break from Cody. A night where I could get to know the real Kelsey Elliott.