8

Max's phone gave me the perfect insight into your life because he had every little detail about you stored in his phone. Of course, he followed all of your accounts so I was able to see your other social media's. Your full name is Kelsey-Jay Elliott, you despise having a double barrel name so refuse to use it but it doesn't stop most people in your life calling you "KJ". You were adopted at the age of two, it's why Max kept making reference to a meth lab by two amazing people Jen and Carl Elliott but still have frequent contact with your birth father, that's Charlie and your birth mother Bianca has been missing for years but is known to show up out of the blue. Then Reece and Justin are your two biological brothers and I'm yet to figure out what Reece did to land himself in juvie, the event that riled you up so much you stood up to Max but I'd find out soon enough.

Your favourite ice cream is Reese's peanut butter cups but only from a place called Scoops, it can't be from anywhere else. You treat Cody like he's your own because you don't want him to end up in the system, you were lucky with your family but not every child is. I knew our connection ran deeper, we both know what it's like to be discarded by our birth mothers. You studied accountancy in Yale where you met Len, I didn't expect anything less from either of you to be honest. You were head cheerleader in high school and somewhere in between learned how to play guitar. I learnt all of this from videos and texts between you and Max and after finding all of this out, you became more attractive to me Kelsey. You're absolute perfection in my eyes.

I arrived at your house at eight, I didn't to be too early and look eager, I knew you'd be there because you texted Max telling him you would and the invite for him to come too is on the table once he finally decides to call you back, it was a tactic to get a response you'd never get. I hadn't been answering because I know you'd expect a phone call once receiving a text back and then I'm only opening the door to being caught. The door to your house was wide open, anyone could've gotten in, a murderer, a thief, both, anyone. I had a bottle of red wine in my hand, your favourite, expecting a large gathering with people everywhere which isn't what this was.

People were dispersed all over the house. Some in the kitchen, some in the living room but there weren't so many that I wouldn't be able to find you. Honey was standing at the door, dressed to the nines, waiting for nothing in particular. The second she saw me she embraced me like we'd known each-other years and not a matter of hours. She told me to wait in the kitchen and we'd talk later but I wasn't here for her Kelsey, I'm here for you and that was my mission, I was going to find you. I put your red wine on the kitchen island and grabbed myself a beer, I wasn't going to drink it, I was just going to hold it to look sociable, I had to find you. I wandered into the living room where Eddi was entertaining a group of people so I went over to her.

"Where Kels-" I began but she pointed straight at the ceiling indicating that you were upstairs. The house was loud, it was a punch bowl of talking and techno music. It smelt like cigarettes and strawberries with a hint of weed. I was about to walk to the bedroom at the end of the hall but I saw Nona looking stressed in the hallway. "You're Joe aren't you ? She's barricaded herself and Cody in there. He keeps asking where Max is and she doesn't have answers. Len won't give me anything not that I'm surprised, only thing good about him is is his money" she said bitterly so I reassured her that I'd check on you, she went downstairs and allowed me to. You hadn't barricaded yourself in there that was an exaggeration, she'd just been knocking and you probably couldn't hear it so I walked straight in.

You sat on the floor with Cody between your legs cradling him. You arms were around him as if no one could get him no matter how hard they tried. He was in his pyjamas ready for bed but you wore a red lace bodysuit, leather pants and those infamous Doc Martens. Your outfit hugged you in all the right places, your makeup was done. Your hair was down and curled. You looked ready to party but from what I could see you looked like you wanted to curl up and never be seen by anyone ever again.