002 | reassigned

╔════════════ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎

'𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐠𝐧𝐞𝐝' ════════════╝

━━ -ˋˏ★ˎˊ- ━━

...D'QAR, ILEENIUM SYSTEM

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐄𝐋𝐓 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 𝐈𝐂𝐄, so cold it almost burned. Stray droplets from the industrial-grade hose soaked through the canvas fabric of her pants and chilled her sun-warmed skin. Birds called out in the distance where they swooped near a trio of Y-Wings that were drifting up and out of the dry atmosphere. In the breeze, clouds scudded overhead and provided temporary breaks from the rare D'Qar spring sun.

"Commander, I'm so sorry, I really didn't mean to–" Dash tried to apologize again, but Lyra just held up her hand in defeat. Golden-haired and blue eyed, he looked the part of a pilot. His flying abilities were unfortunately lacking.

Dash Pellian, though a decent shot, was proving to be difficult to teach to fly. Not to mention, Lyra was not usually in charge of flight training. Poe Dameron was the one General Organa had put in charge of the whole system. The organization of it–or lack thereof–was an absolute mess to anyone but him. But with the Black Squad's secret mission, the responsibility had fallen to Lyra and the Phoenix Squadron.

"You're all seasoned pilots, I don't see why there should be any issue."

Leia was going to have to eat her words if she hadn't already.

"I get it, Pellian." Lyra didn't want to sound short with him, but this wasn't the only time this had happened. Eden refused to train any more pilots after the first time Dash hit a tree. "I am glad you remembered the emergency landing procedure."

"Right, right," he said. He was way taller than her, but right then he cowered in his embarrassment.

Lyra pulled the handle on the hose and switched off the valve. With a final splash and a hiss of smoke, the small fire on the tail of the A-Wing was finally out. It was currently sitting at the end of a carved-out skid mark of dirt with the metal plating singed and bent from the impact. The rest of the trainees were staring at it, looking over at Dash intermittently and praying silent thanks it wasn't them who had messed up.

Lyra was producing more practice for the technicians than she was creating pilots.

The A-Wing had fallen from the sky in slow motion, taking down a pine tree with it. Then the ground had shaken and Dash hoped out of the flaming A-Wing, unharmed except for his pride. Lyra had yelled, and a Rodian trainee named Siero Kena had run to grab water from the nearby tanker. Lyra had Ellis help her drag it out to the practice runway earlier that day for this exact reason.