23 Back To School

“This is the greatest thing that has happened in all of human history,” Sienna tells me on Monday as we’re in the food court eating breakfast before classes.

I let out a small laugh and nod in agreement. “Yeah, it’s pretty great.”

“I can’t believe that you two finally worked things out,” Mason says. “Well, I mean, I can believe it but it’s just so great. I’m definitely not going to miss all of your fighting. This is so awesome.”

“Speaking of Andrew, where is he?” Sienna wonders, taking a bite of her pancake.

I shrug. “Probably with Bryan or something, I don’t know.”

“He’s probably talking about you,” Mason sings.

“Maybe,” I say with a laugh. “Anyway, we went to an aquarium for New Year’s Eve and then he took me up to the roof and it was pretty amazing.”

“That does sound so romantic,” Sienna coos and Mason eagerly nods her head in agreement. “And I want to see the bracelet. It sounds so pretty, the way that you described it over the phone.”

“Oh yeah, let us see it!”

I let go of my fork and push my wrist out towards them so that they can see the gold bracelet dangling from my wrist. “His initials are engraved on the inside,” I tell them. “Isn’t it cute?”

“It’s adorable,” Sienna smiles. “He sure does know how to splurge on jewelry.”

“I’m pretty sure that his mom helped him pick it out,” I say, going back to eating my breakfast. After we kissed on New Year, we decided that it was the perfect time to get back together. We’d been getting along miraculously well for two full weeks and I didn’t want to be without him anymore. So after that, nothing really changed between us except for the fact that we kissed. A lot. He spent a lot of time with his parents though, since they barely get to see him and once we left New Mexico, I had him all to myself.

“And I’m sure the makeup sex was amazing,” Mason grins teasingly at me.

“Yeah,” I nod in agreement. “I’m sure that it will be. It hasn’t actually happened yet though. We only got back last night and before that, his parents were always home so it’d be weird and last night, we were both so exhausted from the flight that we just went right to bed.”

“That’s unacceptable,” She says, shaking her head at me.

“I agree,” I say with a laugh, noticing Sienna look down at her phone and then her face noticeably drops. “Something wrong?” I ask her.

She looks up at me and then shrugs. “No. It’s just Penn’s sister. Ana, they’re having issues with her again.”

I remember Ana from a while ago, she’s Penn’s little sister, only a year younger than us. I don’t know too much about her story but I know that she was depressed and suicidal so her parents sent her away to Alaska or something but she came back home over the summer but I guess she isn’t completely better- I don’t even know if there is a ‘completely better’ in this situation.

“What’s wrong with her?” Mason asks.

“I don’t know, I’m going over to Penn’s tonight to see,” Sienna tells us. “He’s really worried about her.”

“I’m sure everything will be fine,” Mason tells her with an assuring smile. “Let us know if there’s anything we can do to help out or anything.”

“Yeah, thanks. I’ll do that. Right now though, we have to get to class.”

Mason checks the time on her phone and then nods before we all stand up and throw away our now-empty trays and then make our way towards the academic building for first period. Everybody is so mopey today because it’s the first day back from winter break, but I’m in such a good mood because of my fixed relationship with Andrew so it’s kind of weird to be the only chirpy one walking down the hallway but I’ll get over it.