CHAPTER SIX: The Birthday Boy

A few days have past since I spent the night at William's place. Unexpectedly, it hasn't made anything awkward but Henry is definitely sensing something when he's at the restaurant. William and I have been hooking up every now and then, from his office and the back room to our houses we've made out and more.

Today's Micheal's turning a year old and is having a small gathering/party at Freddy's. William is taking the day off for it and I am only working for the first half of the party. My duty for today is being a costume character, specifically Foxy, and this means I'll have to wear a hot and heavy costume for a good half-hour or so. I mainly am entertaining Micheal's party and equally as young friends.

William, Micheal and I arrive at the pizzeria and I separate from the two to get into the Foxy costume in the back room. When I start to walk away Micheal starts to cry so I plant a quick kiss on his forehead and William looks at me in a teasing manner. I quickly kiss his cheek and before leaving his face I whisper in his ear; "If you attempt to flirt with me whilst I'm in costume I will murder you."

"I'll try not to." He whispers back and kisses my cheek.

I wave goodbye to them and Micheal squeakily and unsurely says "ma-ma" and my heart is filled with love. He's only just starting to grab speech and is starting to say 'da-da', he even calls me 'ma-ma' and William and I decided to not correct him and to just leave it.

I walk off to the back room and get changed into a pair of cycle shorts and a cropped tank top. I then step into the legs of the Foxy costume, the red fur moving subtly with each movement I make. Next, I pull the rest of the costume up, pulling my arms into the sleeves and finally doing up the zip with the help of Sarah, a new employee at the location who will be acting as Foxy's handler today. I take a quick sip of cold water before the head is placed upon mine, Sarah adjusting it so it looks perfect.

Sarah opens the door and I walk out with her following behind me. Children's cheers begin to fill the atmosphere as they see Foxy walking through the pizzeria. Sarah and I reach the table with Micheal's party on it and through the mesh eyes I can see Micheal wide-eyed and reaching out towards me.

In character, I wave to everyone at the table and notice William winking at me so I subtly kick him. Micheal struggles with all of his might to get closer to his favourite character and William notices this and picks him up, standing opposite me with his son in his arms.

Sarah grabs William's camera from the table and tells us to face her direction. William and I face Sarah whilst Micheal sits in his father's arms and looking at Foxy. Posing for the photo I put one arm around William and my hook-hand out in front of me. I remove my arm from around William and Sarah hands the camera to William.

A half-hour has gone by and we've played a handful of games with the kids and Micheal almost never left my side the entire time, him just being in a trance that hey hanging out with Foxy.

Sarah looks at me and I nod. She pretends that she's on the walkie-talkie and 'ends the call'. "Freddy just said their pizza is ready. Let's go get it for them." She says. "Come on Foxy, we don't want it getting cold."

I follow her to the opening hatch to the kitchen and grab the pizza and so does Sarah. We return to the table and set the pizza down.

"Foxy, it's time for you to return to your crew. Say goodbye to the boys and girls." My co-worker says and I wave goodbye to the children.

When we return to the back room she takes the Foxy head off of me and undoes the zip, allowing me to step out of the costume. I dry myself off with the towel from my cubbyhole and change into the black jeans and tucked-in plain white t-shirt I was previously wearing. I thank Sarah and leave to go to the table with the birthday boy.

I reach the table and sit down next to William who currently has Micheal sitting on his lap. "So," I say, "what did I miss?"

"Well, we had a special visiter, didn't we Micheal?" William asks his son. "Who did we see?"

"Foxy!" One of the older children of the party says full of excitement and muffled due to having pizza in her mouth. "He was so cool!"

I can't help but smile. "Is that so? Sorry I had to miss that but I had to do something." I bop Micheal's nose. "Maybe next time I'll meet Foxy."

Micheal giggles and we all eat the pizza on the table. Time passes and the table is cleared and the parents start to leave with their kids. One of the mothers comes up to me after thanking William for the invite and gives me a smile.

"So? What's up with you and William?" She asks. "Are you two a thing or are you just friends?"

"I-Uh." I stutter. "I guess so. We've never really talked about it."

"Well if it's any help, I think you two look cute together. Definitely more of his type than the other one was and he's clearly head over heals for you."

I laugh nervously. "Thanks. I guess I'll see you whenever."

"Goodbye."

All of the parents have gone and I take a sleeping Micheal from William's arms. He smiles at me and I smile back. We get to his purple Nissan Maxima and I put Micheal into his car seat and then get in the front with William. He starts the engine and he drives us to his place.