One

I inhaled the smoke then slowly let it out, allowing it to dissolve into the cold winter air.

"Hey." a regular customer came up to me, he tossed his skateboard onto the floor and took out a $100 bill.

I threw my cigarette onto the floor and looked at my surroundings sheepishly for anyone around. I pulled out the eight ball of cocaine and slapped it quickly into his open hand, "Thanks." He said walking away.

I looked at my phone, fuck I'm late for school.

I walked down to my everyday bus stop and waited.

Eventually the air became wind and the wind became snow.

I sighed re-wrapping my scarf around my neck.

---------

"You're late again Ava." My Spanish teacher Mrs.Martinez said as I walked into the class room, all eyes landed on me.

I ignored her and took my seat at the back of the class.

"Ava." Mrs.Martinez said crossing her arms.

"What?" I grunted, I was definitely not going to deal with her bitchy attitude today.

"That's a detention for interrupting my class, again."

"You're interrupting your own class by arguing with me." I said leaning my head against my arms, the class laughed. Except the few nerdy ones who hate me for my attitude, their just jealous I can be the way I am and still be the best thing this God forsaken school has to offer.

"Get out." Mrs.Martinez pointed at the door,

"With pleasure." I replied collecting my things and leaving the classroom in a very slow manner to irritate her.

-----------

"Mrs.Martinez is such a bitch." I said sticking my plastic spork into my mouth,

"No, she's actually pretty cool you're just super irritating." Stephanie said smirking at me.

"You're supposed to agree with me what kind of friend are you?" I asked incredulously,

"As your best friend I have to be honest with you Ava, you're just so fucking annoying."

We both laughed in unison.

"Am not." I said stealing carrots from her lunch tray.

"Eric at two o'clock." Stephanie motioned her eyes in my direction.

"Hey girls." Eric sat down next to me and smiled, he put his arm around me and I roughly removed it.

"Worth a try." He laughed, I smiled then he smiled.

"You guys should just date." Stephanie winked at us.

"Ha, how about no." I said taking my flask out and chugging some vodka from it, not giving a fuck who sees.

"She's not into me like that." Eric scoffed.

"You're like a brother to me Eric."

"Oh shit!" Stephanie began to laugh dramatically,

"Eric, you weren't friend zoned, you were brother zoned." She continued to laugh at his dismay, he rolled his eyes at her.

I watched as Darren Snyd casually strolled towards us making eye contact with me and I knew what he wanted.

He slowly approached our table,
"Hey Ava, you got anything on you?"

I knew it.

"Huh?" I replied as if I didn't know what he was asking, everyone knows I don't fucking sell at school and Darren was a regular, what a fucking dumb ass.

"Do you have any you know, D-R-U-G-S Ava?" He whispered, I slammed my hand on the table giving him my famous bitch face.

Realization struck him.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't worry, just meet me at the park after school."

He nodded his head before walking off.

"I wish you'd stop selling drugs." Eric said looking at me innocently.

"Leave her alone, I think its pretty bad ass that you're a drug dealer." Stephanie said leaning back in her chair.

I zoned out from their argument about my business and started thinking, selling drugs was the only way for me to make money, there was no way out, even if I wanted out they would never let me, I was in this for the long run, and it's the only way I could help.

There was no other fucking way.

Especially when my mothers life depends on it.