Chapter 02

It seemed like the train ride was taking longer than usual with Lily not with them, but she did manage to pop in every once in a while and stay with the other three girls for a few short minutes before returning to her Prefect duties.

      By the time the sky was painted in black and night had fallen upon them, the girls changed into their school robes and got out of the train.

     Hagrid was standing above the crowd, calling out for first years to follow him as he always did.

     To their greatest joy, Lily joined them on taking a carriage to Hogwarts and so, Jenna, Lily, Marlene, and Alice got on a carriage and on they went.

     "No offense, Jenna," Lily started, looking like she was exactly going to give an offensive comment, "but your brother is an arrogant toerag."

     "None taken," Jenna said earnestly, grinning.

     "You were so much alike back in first year," Lily continued. "At least you've changed a bit now."

     "Nah, she's still just as bad as him," said Marlene bluntly, still busy eating the remaining of the pumpkin pies.

     "Thanks, Mar." Jenna shook her head in disbelief.

     "Oh, for crying out loud! Will you ever stop eating!?" Lily scolded Marlene.

     "No," she answered with her mouth full. "I'm just warming up my stomach for dinner."

     "I'm just saying this for your own good, Mar," Lily went on kindly, but Marlene obviously wasn't listening. "You've had a ton of sweets on the train and if you want to have some space left for the feast tonight, then you better stop. I'm just worried that you'd get sick, that's all."

     "Yes, mum." Marlene said sarcastically with an eye-roll, putting the rest of the pies away.

     Although there really was no point, seeing as only one bite was left anyway.

     "Imagine Marlene not having space left for first-of-the-term feast," said Alice in a giggle.

     "No arguing on that!" Marlene shrugged, grinning proudly at her ability to eat.

     "I like your hair, by the way, Jen. Blue always suits you the best." said Alice. "I mean last year that you had it purple it still looked good on you, but blue is something else."

     Jenna smiled. "Thanks, Al."

     "I really don't get you, Jen," Marlen started thoughtfully. "I mean... you have the ability to change your looks into the most gorgeous woman on earth. You can even make yourself look like a veela, for Merlin's sake! But how come you just change your hair from blue to purple and back to blue again?"

     "Because I'm not gonna change how I look to please others." Jenna shrugged. "Besides, I like it when my hair looks like this, no matter how much everyone tells me it's weird."

     "Well, I like it," Lily said kindly, beaming at her. "You look beautiful as always, Jen."

     "Of course you do." Jenna smiled back, bringing her sideways into a short hug.

Lily had a way of seeing the best in people, even when they couldn't see it themselves. Maybe it was in the caring way she talked, or maybe it was her genuine smile, or even her kind green eyes, but all in all, Jenna felt lucky to have a friend like Lily in her life.

Lily was certainly the mother of the group, always trying to get the others out of trouble. But what Jenna loved most about her was her kind heart, and the fact that she never hesitated to put others welfare before her own.