Chapter 17: Interpretations

< If the world was ending
you'd come over right? >
-JP Saxe.

Aria's PoV:

Half an hour passed by, and we're currently sitting in Maria's living room.
I'm seated next to Javier who is watching animated cartoons on the tv, while Nickolas is on the other side of me holding his niece in his arms, delicately rocking her to slumber.

The sight is heart rejoicing and mine melts a little at how Nickolas is good with kids.
There's just this thing that makes guys with little kids so hot.
He'd make a wonderful dad someday.

Maria is in the kitchen, fixing up something to eat, even after the countless times we told her not to.

"Hey Aria, can you come help me a little bit?" Her voice echoes from the kitchen and I stand up and walk in her direction.

"We've already told you not to make anything." I politely remind her that there's no absolute need to feed us.
She was already responsible for feeding two little children and we weren't about to load her up in more.

"It's not that big of a deal, I enjoy cooking actually " she states with a smile on her face and I can see that she has a passion for cooking.
She'd be the next Crissy Teigen easily if her food tasted the way it smells right now.

She's making chicken fries stir with some lettuce and vinegar salad that looks fresh.

I grab a knife and help with cutting the vegetables into small cubes, while she attends the pot on the stove.

"So how's life with my little brother?" She asks out of no where and I find difficulty in coming up with the right answer for this.
So I don't answer, leaving the question hanging loosely in the air between us.

I thought she would drop the topic, though I was wrong. Her next words leave me taken aback "You know he looks happier now"

He does?

"He does?" I voice my thoughts, urging her to go on.
Thankfully she does.

"Yeah, he just looks more carefree than before.
He used to always work nonstop, probably trying to satisfy our dad. But now it's like he radiates this aura of joy".

"You know I haven't seen him in about 4 months, but the moment he stepped into the house with you by his side, I could tell he's changed "
She vocalizes her thoughts and I'm glad she feels open enough to share this with me.

"He's been focused on work and the company since he was a teen, thanks to my dad, that he hadn't had a chance to experience falling in love before."

"He might be closed off,  not always expressing his emotions but he'll come around eventually. You'll have to be patient for him" she offers advice and I don't know what to do, so I nod absentmindedly.

Closed off.
Expressing his emotions.
Experience falling in love.

Wait, what did she mean by 'he hadn't had a chance to experience falling in love before' ?
Does this mean he's falling in love now?

My mind sprints a million miles an hour overthinking and jumping into conclusions. I can't just shrug off her words easily.

We finish cooking and set the table with the help of Nickolas and little Javi.

We all take seats around the rectangular table. Maria on the head of the table, Nickolas to her right with me beside him.
And Javier to her left.
Elfie was sound asleep now in her nursery.

We eat and converse about several topics, such as: where the weather is better, in America or Spain.
We talk about how Javi is doing in school, him leaning more towards soccer than football.

The topics of discussion flow naturally and easily around the table, each having bits and pieces to add once in a while.

After food is done, we all help clean up the table and Nickolas and I spend more time with them until we bid our goodbyes, promising little Javi that we'll come back to visit to hang out with him later.

He doesn't let us leave before he's hugged me like a thousand times and I hugged him tight too.

Once we reach the quiet of the car, Nickolas let's out a content sigh.
"Today was pretty eventful day" he says with sleepy eyes and a yawn escaping his mouth.

"Get out, I'll drive " I offer and he raises an eyebrow at me.

"You're tired and yawning. Wouldn't want you to sleep behind the wheel " I justify and get out of the passenger seat to exchange places with him.

Once we're settled, I add in "Don't worry, I have the driving skills as Vin Diesel in Fast & Furious" his eyes widen in horror at the possibility of me crashing his precious car and I burst out laughing.

"I'm just kidding. Promise you I'm a law abiding citizen " a toothy grin rests on my face while I roar the engine into life.

•••

By the time we reach home, it's almost eleven pm. and I can tell we're both extremely tired.
We each go to shower to clean up after our busy day, and by the time we're both done with our nightly routines it's almost midnight.

We climb into bed, both out of energy, and I groan mentally knowing tomorrow is Monday and we'll be back to work.

I was thinking about what Maria said today, regarding her brother when suddenly his hand scoops my middle section and brings me on top of his chiseled body in our usual position.

I hug his muscular chest, resting my head in the hollow of the intersection of his throat and collar bone.

He throws the black silky sheets around us and then his arms hug me back, hands resting on my back.
I shut my eyes close, very much liking our new sleeping arrangement and slumber takes over me shortly after.

•••

A/N:

Ohhh🥺❤️ my babies 🥰🥰

If you want to be cuddled at night, vote and comment ❣️