PROLOGUE

Many, many moons ago...

A glowing full moon surrounded by bright stars illuminates Mother Earth below. Red embers float through the crisp night air as the great fire crackles. A circle of worn grass welcomes the seven tribes.

Drummers from each tribe take their place at the heartbeat. The heartbeat of Mother Earth herself. Each drummer, one at a time, places their palm on the center of the drum and rubs clockwise seven times before placing that same palm over their heart.

One by one, the drummers take their seat on handcrafted stools of wood and ready themselves by grabbing their slender mallets. A long stick with a custom fabric handle and feathers intertwined at the tip.

Without speaking a single word, the drummers bring life to the heart. The beating of the drum sends rhythmic vibrations through the air and grass, traveling up the legs of the Mi'kmaq people.

Within seconds seven more men surround the drummers and begin slapping their custom Ji'kmaqn (splintered wood rattles) against their hands, timing each slap to follow the beat of the drum.

Effortlessly, the parade of the seven tribes gather around the fire by entering the worn circle. Stepping with the beat and slightly bouncing, the eldest women enter first wearing their hand-sewn skirts and dresses. Each has the Mi'kmaq compass embroidered on the right breast and a tribal symbol on the center back of their garment.

Some of the elder women stand tall with their hands resting on their hips. Others are holding a flag or feathers bound in the shape of an eagle wing while their other arm extends outward to caress the warmth of the flame. A handful of women rock tightly swaddled infants against their chest.

Behind them are the menstruating women, dancing with similar movements, but rather than entering the circle they veer to the right creating their own circle parallel to the drummers. Their mighty power would overwhelm the circle.

Clinking metal bells on the Jangle dresses send positive energy as the medicine dancers enter the circle.  Their rhythmic movements create a magical sense of levitation while their long onyx hair bounces in tune.

Bursting with energy the young females of the seven tribes gallop from right to left foot swaying their arms from side to side. Embodying the movements of a butterfly, their brightly colored and unique dresses pared with matching shawls sparkle around the fire as they flap and fly.

Low voices call out to Kji-Niskam (the Great Spirit). As the Gathering Song begins, voices carried by the men entering the circle vibrate the air.

In similar order, the eldest enter first. Each tribe share similar styles of leather breechcloths, buckskin leggings and moose hide jackets, but wears tribe specific headdresses.

Boys from the seven tribes follow their elders gleefully as they energetically stomp and sway.

The women join the chanting to match the drummers increase in tempo. With great booming vocals that send chills down the bodies of the Mi'kmaq people, the Nikanus (chiefs) of each tribe enter the circle with ornate regalia and feathered headdresses.

Just as the chanting of the Gathering Song ends, powerful two-count bangs on the drum bring everyone to a halt.

Silence settles among the people as they eagerly anticipate the ceremony to come. Sounds of mighty footsteps draw near as the Kji' Saqmaw (Grand Chief) approaches the circle.

Standing six feet high with ornate regalia, woven feathers attached to his lower back mimicking the tail of a turkey and long strands of dyed leather cascading around his strong arms, he commands attention.  Kji' Saqmaw's intricately laced necklaces hang from his bare neck and a vast sea of various animal feathers and furs create his living headdress balanced by the long side wraps covering his ears.