-15-

max
I found myself standing in front of a flyer advertising the schools newest production of Romeo and Juliet and the auditions starting tomorrow.

"thinking of trying out?" I was startled by the sudden approach from jane.

"nah..I'm not much of a theater kid" I replied even though there was those few plays back in elementary school I participated in.

"I might give it a try" jane shrugged writing her name on the list for juliet.

"oh, you do realize you'll be kissing a guy" I mumbled.

"please, I've kissed guys before...well a guy, but its acting"

I shrugged and huffed trying to hide the little hint of jealousy.

"you're jealous, aren't you?" she smirked at me. "don't worry I only have eyes for one person"

I felt warmth on my cheeks as I looked down.

BRRNG, BRRNG

"I sh-should go" I said pointing towards class. she smiled and then waved as I walked to class, butterflies in my stomach.

Once lunchtime came around me and jane stole glances across the tables in the cafeteria.

"earth to max" mike said waving a hand over my face turning to see what I was looking at. "you seem awfully cheery today than yesterday"

"things change." i said with a smile.

"yeah, they do" will joined in looking at mike. "but seriously, we are curious now"

"don't worry, besides its complicated"

"does it have something to do with you being gone half the day yesterday" mike said suspiciously looking at me.

"shut it wheeler before I take back my truce of being your friend"

"hey, hey, I know I was an asshole and I really am sorry about what I've said in the past, but you have to eventually tell us" mike replied waving his hands in defense.

"I'm kidding, but I got an apology out of you"

mike glared at me hiding a smile, as I realized I wasn't alone anymore, I had friends.

jane

"hey" the sound of a certain fiery redheads voice appeared as I turned around smiling.

"hey you, following me home are you?"

"pssh...no"

"well...my offer still stands if you wanna come over"

"fine, it beats going home."

"what sucks at home?" I asked as we started walking.

"nothing" she said lowering her eyes to the ground.

"max," I turned to her putting my hand on her arm. "you can trust me"

"its really nothing, how further to your house?" she asked avoiding eye contact.

I let her go as I replied but felt a wave of disappointment.

max

I wiped the tears brimming my eyes with my sleeve as we walked in silence. I had never really talked about the chaos and shit that went on with my stepbrother and stepdad at home to anyone. Or the way billy treated me as if I was just a piece of garbage.

"here." jane said tucking her brown hair behind her ear.

"quite the place, why is it in the middle of the woods though?" I asked. "you aren't a creepy serial killer because I have seen way too many movies to recognize one"

"no, my dad is just very protective"

I smiled feeling a bit homesick for California and my dad who still lived there.

//how are you guys? I think I'm losing my mind from being couped up at home.