Part 5

Jayne found a letter at her door written by Christopherus, telling her that he was given permission to return to Telepylus. That was one problem-ridden, but fate would always cause another to arise. Though she did not know, Jayne would return to the capital. And once returned, it would be very difficult leaving again.

Another month or so passed and life was pleasant. Nothing was strange or unusual, everything was mundane; it was perfect.

That was until another letter was at Jayne's door. She expected another invitation letter, perhaps Chris told the prince that she disposed of it, and Des, being Des, would just send another one.

Oh, how she wished it was another invitation letter because it was far, far worse. Tears stained the page and were making the ink water. She could not comprehend what she was reading, she prayed it was a lie, a trick played by some cruel god. But if it were true, she would have to go back, not for herself, but for him

Abraham was sick.

Bedridden. An infection, a disease that poisoned his body from the inside out, his body blue as if he were dead. His heart would only keep him alive for a few more days.

And this letter would've taken a few days to arrive from the capital.

It was signed by Derrick, the court physician, detailing what was wrong with him, and how all he wanted was to see her face one last time. Jayne recognised his handwriting so new it wasn't forged. Desmideus probably told him to write it so it could be sent to her and knew she would instantly come back.

Was it a trap? Maybe. But was Jayne willing to go to find out? Definitely.

Jayne ran and grabbed her purse and ran to the stables, jumping onto the horse she had stolen and kept for the past year. She and her horse bolted through the town, into the countryside and to the capital.

The entire journey would've taken five hours, but with Jayne's strength and determination, she did it in three. By this time it was almost night, the sun setting, the entire sky orange and purple as the nightlife started to emerge and people were scattered drinking and eating in the streets.

The journey to just get up the acropolis felt longer than the actual journey itself. How tempting it was to just run the people over but Jayne needed to be discreet. All she wanted was to see him. One last time.

She had arrived at the golden gates. The full moon shined directly above the palace, almost as if the light was shining on the palace, guiding Jayne where to go. She jumped off her horse and ran, well, ran three feet until she was met with the gate; locked. And the guards were off duty.

"Eh, it's not that high." Jayne grabbed on and hoisted herself. Once she reached the top, she carefully made sure to not touch the spiky golden arrows that were at the top, and as she moved her body to the other side, she immediately lost grip and fell.

"Fuck!" She whisper-shouted, her knees grazed on the concrete. Minor injury, nothing Jayne couldn't patch up.

"God, they need to tighten up security here." Jayne gained a slight limp but still managed to sprint across the courtyard towards one of the backdoors. She wasn't that stupid to use the main entrance.

Jayne went full Lara Croft in sneaking around the palace, as she couldn't exactly go in guns blazing. Nor did she want to do that anyway. Perhaps it would be better to act like she was meant to be here. After all, people don't usually question those who look like they know what they're doing. But others knew that she did use work here, so they might think it strange she's all of a sudden back, but it's not like her leaving would be major news, right?

She reached the second floor with ease, there wasn't even that many people around the castle, it was yet dinnertime and all daily chores were most likely complete. She made eyes with the infirmary, surely the other physicians would not tell anyone else that she was here if she just asked. Hopefully.

It's not like she's actually doing anything wrong. Well, apart from breaking in, but her motives are pure, plus Desmideus seems to like her so even if she was caught it's not like anything that bad will happen.

Her inner monologue ran short as the doors she was standing in front of were opened. Jayne didn't see who opened the door, all she could see was the pale sickly face of the boy she has grown to love