Chapter 19

Ashlyn Harris POV

It's been about four hours since the shooting started. They have taken out 6 of the now 8 gunmen. There are a total of 244 deaths and 532 injured. There has been no word on Cameron whatsoever. All the girls and I have been glued to the TV screen hoping for updates. I'm slowly losing it. Knowing she's in the middle of this horrible massacre alone makes me want to cry. I don't even know if she's hurt or okay. I'm praying that she'll be okay. She needs to be okay.

We all jump when we hear a cell phone go off. I then realize it's mine and look at the caller ID. It was just a random number but something in me knew I had to answer it.

"Hello?" I pick up and say.

"Is this Ashlyn?" What sounds like a male voice comes from the other end of the line.

"Yes, who am I speaking to?" I question. I see Kelley, Ali, Tobin, Pinoe, and Alex just giving me this look wondering who's on the other end of the line as well.

"My name is Jake. Um... long story short, there's a shooting happening and I came across Cameron. She gave me your phone number. We are waiting for the S.W.A.T. team to come clear the building we are in and save us. Ashlyn, Cameron has been shot. I have been trying to control the bleeding. It's not going so well. The only thing she wants is to talk to you and another girl named Ali. I'm going to put you on speaker now." At the same time I put mine on speaker. While I do that Alex and Tobin leave the room.

"Ash? Ali?" A weak voice says over the phone.

"Hey kid, we're here." Both Ali and I respond back, holding back tears.

"Are you in any pain?" Ali asks.

"You could say that." Cam responds and we know she's hiding more than she is letting on.

"Where were you shot?" I ask.

"Shoulder, but I think it nicked an artery. There's so much blood." Cam's voice fades out.

In the background, I hear Jake trying to keep her awake. "Hey don't do this to me. We got Ashlyn and Ali on the line. Stay awake and keep talking to them. We'll be okay. Just stay awake."

"Guys she's losing so much blood. I need you to keep talking to her and make sure she keeps talking. I need to find something to slow down the bleeding." Jake says and we hear him telling Cam he'll be right back.

"Cammy?" I get a hum in response.

"Talk to me. How were your exams today?" I ask trying to distract her.

"I think I did well. I don't know. I don't know." I hear her fading away.

"Listen I have some people around me that want to talk to you." I give a pleading look to the other girls in the room hoping they'll catch on. I don't know what to say to her.

"Cam, it's Kelley! You won't believe what Pinoe did today. She went out and bought another set of sunglasses. She swears she needs them."

"Of course she did. She needs to shade out the haters." Cam jokes weakly.

"That's what I'm saying kid!" Pinoe chimes in. "I was going to surprise you but I guess I'll tell you now. I bought you a pair. They are perfect for you."

"Haha thanks Pinoe."

"Cameron?" Ali asks over the phone as there was a long pause.

"Cameron?" I then say when she doesn't get a response. Two minutes later, I hear Jake come back and talk to Cam. I can't make out what he is saying, but all of a sudden I hear Cameron scream.

"Ashlyn, it doesn't look good." Jake said. "I managed to make a makeshift tourniquet to stop the bleeding but she already lost too much blood. Just keep talking to her and let her hear your voice. She seems to respond well when she hears your voice. "

"Cam, listen. I'm coming, okay? You are going to be alright."

"Ash, am I going to die?" Tears started streaming down my face when she said that. "I think I am."

"No, no sweetie. You are going to be okay. You are going to have help soon. Before you know it you'll be back training at camp." I say calmly. I try to be strong for her.

"This is going to sound stupid, but I keep seeing flashes of my family telling me to join them. It's so tempting." I hear her breathing become labored as she spoke.

"I know it seems very tempting, but now is not the time to give into temptation. You have to be strong. Stronger than ever. You hear me." I sternly say.

"I'm trying. But if I do end up not making it, I just want to say thank you. To you and Ali for loving and protecting me. Thank you for saving me. Thank the team. I couldn't have asked for better teammates. I love you all so much."

"I know you are. I don't doubt it for a second, but you need to keep trying. We love you so much, but don't talk like that." I rebuttal back.

"Cameron. I need you to keep your eyes open and keep talking." I hear Jake say. "No, no, no. Come on! Cameron wake up. Fuck. Fuck."

"Jake what's happening?" Ali quickly asks.

"She's unconscious. I can't get her to wake up this time. I'm going to keep trying. Listen my phone is going to die. I'll stay with her wherever they take her. Just get here as fast as possible." He says.

"Make sure she's okay! Please we can't lose her. I can't lose her." I start crying, releasing all the built up tears.

With that, I start packing my clothes with Ali as we hear Jake trying to comfort and keep Cam alert, but isn't succeeding.

Alex and Tobin enter the room. "We just booked you and Ali a flight over. The Uber is ten minutes out. We'll meet up with you guys as soon as we can. Just keep us posted."

"Thank you so much guys!" I express my gratefulness.

"Hello, Jake?" I talk into my phone. No response. I look at it and it looks like the call disconnected. Now, I'm left in oblivion as Ali and I rush to get our things together and head out as soon as possible.