9 | Briefcase

"Hands down, that was the coolest throw ever," you told Uraraka. You couldn't wrap your head around how she had thrown the ball to infinity.

"Ah, thank you, (l/n)!" The girl's cheeks turned redder than usual and her back stiffened. "Is what Bakugo said true? You know, that you steal other people's energy."

"Oh, you could put it that way. I like to say that I 'borrow' it. Sounds less villain-like that way."

Uraraka's bright smile vanished. "You won't take mine away, will you?"

"Depends if I'm fighting you, right? It's not like I'd ask you not to use your zero gravity quirk on me if we were training together."

The girl tucked a strand of her silky brown hair behind her ear as she nodded. "Yeah, I see what you mean. I guess I was taken aback a little at first."

"No worries. I'm kind of used to it."

"(l/n), your turn now," Aizawa called to you, interrupting your conversation. The bags under his eyes matched his severe expression as he looked at you dead in the eye. You acknowledged that you had probably annoyed him as you had been carelessly chatting when it was your turn to go up.

You grabbed the mechanical softball and stretched your arm, gently swinging your arm a few times. The whole class went silent at first as they stared at you. While some of them then commented that they felt bad for you because Bakugo had picked on you, others said they were glad that you had not hindered their abilities.

Little did they know that you had a higher background energy level than most. If you could focus that into this throw, you could make up some of your subpar performance in the earlier tests. The 50-meter dash had gone well, being one of the first; though after that, you had only got worse. Every reserve has its limits, and you had used up the life energy from the plants you managed to touch quicker than expected.

You felt your life energy coursing through your veins as you threw the ball into the air. The aim was off. The ball landed only a few meters away from you, not only leaving a small crater behind, but also leaving your classmates impressed at your strength.

Aizawa handed you a second ball. "There are no second chances in the world of heroes. Make sure to bear that in mind."

Your throwing arm felt so weak that you thought it might drag you down to the ground. But you would not let yourself down again. You wouldn't let your family down either, fully aware of the sacrifice that sending you to U.A. had been. You'd make sure that this first day was not your last.

Holding the ball with your other hand, you did not focus any energy into it whatsoever. Not until the last moment, when you let go of the ball.

Midoriya gasped when he noticed that you copied his actions. It made his heart swell a little, proud that you would use his idea. He made a note to ask you more about your power-type quirk later, as he looked down at his scorched finger.

"Six hundred and thirty-three meters."

"Did you see that?" The girl with the alien-like pink skin jumped up and down. "See Kaminari, like, there was no point being scared of (l/n)."

"Hey! I wasn't scared! No one wants to get expelled, though."

After all of you got through the rest of the tests, including the sit-ups, the seated toe touch, and the long-distance run, you plodded back to your place. Your knees buckled and you fell down. You tried getting up but soon settled that you would rest on the ground for the time being.

Kaminari rested his hands on his knees, as he panted. "You alright there?"

You stayed sitting on the clay, wiping some sweat off your forehead. "Yeah, just drained. Thanks for asking."