Hide and Seek: Best Played at Night

Chapter 19 - recap

"It's like our old childhood games! You have five minutes to hide! Be careful, I have every inch of this place engraved in my memory!" He calls as I race deeper into the garden. As I run my thoughts whirl.

Had I just been proposed to?

And was I really playing hide and go seek to decide my answer?!

• * •

Chapter 20 - Hide and Seek: Best Played at Night

I ran, trying to quiet my beating steps. The walls only rang with the echoes of my feet hitting the cobble. I weaved through the garden, memories of its passages coming back to me. I remembered old games Natsu and I used to play, Hide and Seek, Treasure Hunt and many others usually involving some sort of adventure. I slowed my run for a bit to soak in the surroundings. I was sure my time was running thin.

I picked up my pace again and leapt over a few short walls to cut my time down. I was still running when he yelled "Ready or not, here I come!"

I frantically racked my brain for good hiding places. The bushes, fountains, walls, vines and old statues where my only options near me. I dove in between two old walls, praying my breath couldn't be seen. I tried to calm my racing heart. I was sure my panting and heartbeat could be heard a mile away, but I squeezed my eyes shut and fought to control my breath. I leaned my head back against the cold rock.

That's when I heard footsteps. They where slow, calculating, and intimidating. They where the steps of a predator, and a very determined one at that. I sucked in my breath and squeezed my eyes closed tighter. I heard the steps draw nearer. I heard them stop, then turn and head the other way. I peeked one eye open and cautiously peeked out from behind the wall into the dark.

I ached to step out and move, but I stayed frozen in place. I listened and didn't hear anything. Not even distant echoes of steps. My heart raced in my chest, and a sort of fear of not knowing where he was burned in my stomach.

"Found you," a voice said above me. I shrieked and ran, hoping to elude capture. I knew it was Natsu but he had scared the hell out of me! He suddenly leapt down in front of me and I ran right into him. He stumbled back a few steps, laughing all the while. I stayed still against his chest, smoothing my ragged breath and trying to prevent a heart attack.

"Looks like I win," he smirks. My eyes widen when I realize what that meant.

"You aren't serious are you?" I ask, looking up at him.

"Why wouldn't I be? I'm going to be taking over this place soon Luce, and I love you and don't want to leave a chance for you to slip away," he shoves his hands in his pockets.

I stare at him and my heart flutters in my chest. He pulls a golden locket from his pocket. I see on the flashing surface the letters "ℵ×ℒ" have been engraved. It was breath taking.

"I want you to have this. And I have to wait for my parents to return to get you an actual ring," he shrugs.

"Natsu..." tears well up in my eyes. I surprise him and throw my arms around his neck. "Thank you," I whisper into his ear.

When I stepped back he slipped the chain around my neck and clipped it. I looked at it adoringly before suddenly being lifted.

"Natsu! Put me down!" I demand laughing. He turns me around and my face is parallel to his.

He shrugs smirking, "Whatever you say Luce." And he lowered me down into a kiss. When my feet touched the ground I stay balanced on my toes.

"Natsu! Lucy!" We hear Wendy calling distantly. Natsu releases his grip on my waist.

"I guess it's time to head back," I sigh.

"Come on Luce," Natsu picked me up bridal style and carried me back, and I fell asleep in his arms as he carried me back.

• * •

Chapter 21 - She's Off Limits - Preview

I was jumped on as Levy ran at me. She squealed in delight as I held her on my back.

"Lucy! You won't believe what happened to me over break!" She gasped.

"Tell me!" I demand, letting her slide back to the floor so she can tell me.

"I've done 'it'," She winks.

I gasp, "No way! With who?!"

• * •

Ello lovely readers! If you didn't know, I have loads of other works on my profile! If you liked this book I encourage you to try "Her Crush"!

That's just a suggestion though~

~Kels-chan