Chapter Twelve: A Crown of Roses

I nodded and we inched our way past her. We moved like nothing bothered us, but I was holding my breath until I felt a cool wind on my face. I looked a head and the tunnel ended. I stepped onto soft moss and heard the rush of water. The group of faeries leaving the market, dispersed suddenly with some taking to the air and others jumping into a small stream in front of us. Some went down well worn paths. A few of the paths led to a small bridge for faeries that wanted to avoid the water. Others went down the hill. It looked like the kind of forests that belonged in a Fairytale. Maybe it was a setting for one. 

"Holy shit, what was her problem!" Ari yelped.

"She's one of the guards." Mab said, "From the Nightmare Court." 

Oh. 

I swallowed and tried to keep my heart in my chest. I didn't know what to do, but I had to keep going. Maybe she didn't know me. 

"Maybe we should move a bit quicker," I said. 

The sunlight warmed my face, but not the hot humid heat I was used to back in the human world. It was a perfect kind of heat. Comfortable. I could lay down in the warm sun and fall asleep forever. That almost sounded appealing. 

"Where is this graveyard?" Ari asked Mab. 

"Shush!" Mab said, kicking Ari in the cheek. 

"Ow!" 

"Ari, be nice, Mab won't let us down." I said as Mab pointed down the walkway that went down hill. Parts of the hill stuck out and tree roots dangled from the broken pieces. The more we walked down the warmth dissolved. I noticed that a lot of faeries seemed to avoid this trail.

"We're going down hill." 

"Of course we have to go down the big scary path." I said. 

"You did request a very important item," Mab said.

So there's a rule in Faerie that all important objects are in scary places? 

Ari put a hand over his eyes and tiled his head back. "Of course you're the one that is so freakin' complicated," he said. 

I glared.  

Sharp jagged rocks covered the ground and as we went down, the sunlight started to disappear and a fog started hovering over the ground. There's a low sound coming from some bird. I betted a crow. Or maybe an howl. 

"Why keep dead people near the market?" Ari said. "I figured the smell of corpses would kind of ruin it." 

"Faeries don't rot," I said. Looking back at him, Ari jumped at everything. He didn't have any problems with facing Antonio, but this? This made him nervous? "You need to relax. You're freaking me out." 

"How do we know this pink pixie won't lead us to our deaths?" Ari hissed. I elbowed him. 

"I like Matty," Mab said. Ari tensed, realizing she heard.

Ari shot me a look, but didn't say anything. I could see the wheels turning and it was not comforting. What was this group exactly? What was I getting myself into? Then Drake face came into my head. This was the only way I could help him. I can't leave him like that. Because-

Because? 

He's a friend. He's the first real friend since- 

Lowell. 

"Watch it!" 

Ari yanked me back before I tipped over. I stumbled to my knees and stopped the worst of the fall by landing on the palm of my hands. Something cut my right thumb, but I was okay.