[27] Heart of a Devil

L O V I N G
L A K Y N

TODAY IS ONE of those days where you simply just do not want to attend school. It is one of those days where you almost retrieve hypothermia just by changing into your uniform and the traffic is horrendously slow due to the snow.

That's another thing, this morning when I woke up, I walked out onto my balcony and was surprised to see snowflakes falling from the sky and as I drove down my long windy driveway, I noticed that the entire lake had frozen over.

The wind was fierce and the snow heavy and as told by the woman on the radio, there is a blizzard coming sooner rather than later.

It was not even a question to ask my father for a day off, so I got ready and went, but I couldn't help but be angered by the fact that despite how freezing it was, I could not break the dress code and I had to continue wearing my usual plaid skirt to school with nothing to warm my pale legs except for sheer stockings.

Breaking the dress code was an option today, but I decided against it. I knew that my father would pass away before allowing me to go to school in the incorrect uniform.

By the time that I was at school, I was in a worse mood then I was when I originally left. The heat in my car was heavenly and as soon as I open that door it will all fly away and intermingle with the chilling air which will freeze my pale skin.

I groaned, defeated as I opened the door and slipped out, grabbing my bag before closing the door and locking my car.

I slung my bag over my shoulder, rubbing my arms in an attempt to gain some warmth. The thin cotton sweater seemed to be doing absolutely nothing for my body as my teeth began chattering against each other, my legs covered in goosebumps as my fingertips turned numb.

Usually, I would meet Hale outside, but considering everything was covered in snow, I headed straight inside, slightly more at ease due to the heat inside the corridor. It was not much, but it definitely defrosted my stiff bones.

Before I could even search for Hale, I was bombarded by none other than Blaire Young, as she ran up to me, the usual salty scowl on her face as she stopped in front of me.

"Hey, B." I greeted her, my sweet tone faux and sickly, "How can I assist you on this glacial morning?"

Blaire fixed her bangs, pushing them out of her dark eyes before she scoffed, "Tell me why Poppy Huntington saw you with the new girl at Melrose's." she seethed, "With Hale and Lakyn too. Did I miss my invite, or did Miss I'm not like other girls take mine?"

Seven-thirty. It is seven-thirty in the morning and she is starting with me.

The real question is; do I unleash Lila Hayes or do I settle for a bland answer and the roll of my eyes? Maybe a bit of both, regardless, today was not the day to irritate me. Cold Lila is worse than annoyed Lila.

"Hale invited her." I lied, mainly because Eden and I were barely friends, we were baseline, more so acquaintances if anything. Besides, Blaire gets insecure, so I may as well just keep it to myself for now, "Not that I owe you an explanation."

Blaire glared at me, "Promise?"

I nodded, "Yes, B." I sighed.

She sighed, nodding and I was suddenly glad that I chose not to argue with her for once as the simple lie was enough to ease her anger.

"I just don't like being left out." she puffed, slumping her shoulders, "After you got pulled out of class I was worried about you and then at lunch you were too busy talking to the others and I was just—"