Chapter 32 ll She is the one that would be the bae to his life.

Zoey's POV

I wake, my body wrapped around Chris'. I'm too warm. There is a buzzing sound at my butt and I realise that's what woke me up.

I remove the phone that's under me and glance at it.

Oh.

What does she want now?

As much as I would love to reject the call, she's my mother after all. I swipe the screen to answer the call.

"Hi."

"Hi Zoey."

"Yeah, what is it?"

"Where are you?"

"I'm at my friend's house."

"Okay, I don't have much time, so I'll just say this. Your father wants to see you."

"Why?"

As quietly as possible, I crawl out of Chris' arms and sit on the floor, my back leaning against the side of the bed.

"I don't know. But I don't trust him. I don't want you to see him."

"I want to see him."

"No!" She gasps in horror. "Did you not hear what I just said?"

"I want to see him."

"Don't you care about your safety?"

"He won't do anything. I'm his daughter."

"Oh right!" She laughs. "Now you're his daughter!"

"Yeah. I want to see him."

"That asshole is not your father, Zoey. The woman is a bad influence to him. He changed."

I sigh.

"But I want to see him."

"Is that all you can say? What happened to, 'I love you, mom. I'll be wary of him.' ?"

"That hasn't changed, mother. I'll be careful when I see him, but I don't think he'll do anything stupid, yeah."

"Suit yourself. Something must be wrong with you. When do you want to see him?"

I sigh again, this time, with a smile of relief on my face, "I'll be free tomorrow."

"Okay." Her voice is brusque. She's definitely pissed.

"Thank you," I say. And before I can expect a 'you're welcome', she hangs up on me.

The smile on my face drops and a sigh escapes my mouth again.

I turn around, to find a still soundly sleeping Chris. His hair is messy and the side of his face is pressed against the pillow, just like every morning.

I push myself up from the floor and make my way to the kitchen to make some breakfast.

I rummage through the refrigerator and,  wow, it's full of ingredients and condiments. As compared to this, my fridge is practically empty.

I skip to my phone at the counter to choose a song to be played. I think Chris' habit kind of grew on me. It feels so weird now to be in the kitchen without any sort of noise in the background.

I pick out some Cheddar cheese, bread and egg and set them aside as I begin to whisk the eggs. Let's make some cheese french toast.

Skylar Grey coos softly in the background as I stand in front of the counter, whisking the eggs.

My thoughts drift. I wonder what he looks like now. It's been quite a while. In fact, it's been almost five years since I've last seen him. Five years can't possibly age someone too much, right? I wonder if I could recognize him. Maybe he will look like a complete stranger to me, which is kind of tragic yet comical, considering that he's my father. I don't know what was going through my mind when mother called. Was I happy to know that I can see him? I think so. I was so adamant about it. I think it's Chris. It's him that kind of affected my decision. Chris misses his father so dearly, it breaks my heart on one hand to see him like that, so vulnerable and confused. But on the other, I think it makes me think through what happened between my parents, more thoroughly. After seeing Chris tearing up and hurting, puts me into perspective, I guess.