alt ending

A/N: this is one of my lil series on tumblr that I wrote as an alternate ending for this book - it's horrible, I know, so just be glad we went the nice way!

•••

I glanced at my husband out of the corner of my eye, his face taut and stressed. Since the snap, both of us had become monsters.
Clint broke, chasing after criminals that survived and I followed him, the same anger brewing in my chest. We were unstoppable, killing mob bosses left and right, our tactics brutal and unforgiving.
That was until Nat found us and brought us back, promising there was a chance to save our children. So here we were, making our way towards the resting place of the soul stone, pure vengeance fuelling our actions.
"welcome"

The sudden voice made me jump into a defensive position, Clint and Natasha doing the same behind me.
"Natasha, daughter of Ivan. Clint, son of Edith. Grace, daughter of Felicity"
The two assassins stalked forward, pushing me behind them as they approached the cloaked figure.
"Who are you?" Natasha asked lowly.
"Consider me a guide, to you and to all who seek the soul stone"
"Oh good, you tell us where it is and we'll be on our way" she replied sarcastically.
"If only it were that easy" the figure spoke, stepping into the light and revealing his face. I shuddered slightly as I looked at the bright red skull that stared back at me, following him as he started to float towards the edge of the cliff.
"What you seek lies in-front of you, as does what you fear"
"So we can just climb down and get it? Easy" I scoffed, peering over the ledge.
"In order to get the stone, you must lose that which you love. An everlasting exchange"
I huffed, stepping back from the ledge.
"A soul, for a soul"

The three of us exchanged uneasy glances, the howling wind further adding to the uncomfortable atmosphere.
Nat sat down on a rock, as Clint and I walked over to her.
"Hey how's it going" Clint laughed, "jesus"
"He has to be bullshitting. There's no way-" I started, being cut off by a seldom Nat.
"No, I don't think so."
"What? Just cos he knew your daddy's name?" Clint asked
"I didn't. Thanos walked away from here with the stone, without his daughter. That's not a coincidence"
I let out a sigh and raked my fingers through my hair, a calm quiet passing over the three of us as we accepted our fate.
"Whatever it takes"
"Whatever it takes"
"Whatever it takes"

Nat saw Clint looking at the ledge determinedly, leaping up from her seat, "If we don't get that stone, billions of people stay dead"
"Then I guess we both know who it's gotta be" Clint nodded.
"I guess we do" Nat agreed.
"Woah - hang on. I'm here too"
"No" they said in unison, waving me off.
"You can't decide for me-"
"Grace, no"
I let out a low growl of frustration, stepping forward slightly and pulling both of them into a hug, pulling away after a few minutes. I turned around to wipe my eyes, my ears still trained on their conversation.
"I'm beginning to think we're talking about different people" Clint laughed weakly, his hand holding Nat's.
"For five years all I've been trying to do is one thing, right here, get everybody back"
"Don't get all decent on me now"
"What, you think I wanna do it? I'm trying to save your life you idiot"
"I don't want you to. Natasha, you know what I've done. You know what I've become"
"I don't judge people on their worst mistakes"
"Maybe you should"
"You didn't"