Chapter 20

“I told Lilith that I was staying with you. I told her your name.” Alec went on to explain more at my prompting.

“And when I had been in the van coming here, someone had mentioned Corozal. So I figured that this place is Corozal and told her, but I wasn’t able to see outside of the van, so I couldn’t give any directions to her so she could come and get me.”

"Lilith said I'll be seeing her soon," Alec went on quietly. "And she said that I'll be living in Alpha Hannes' pack. They already have a house for my pa and me, and in my room there's a train set and a fish tank."

Enthusiasm shone briefly in his eyes, but they dimmed when he looked around us slowly. Alec paused, and his eyes widened in horror as he saw something on the floor.

“What is that?” He demanded, a finger pointing towards what was a bone. Sighing, I quickly kicked it away and we both watched as it skidded across the floor and eventually went out of sight.

My arms wrapped around myself as I once again looked back to Alec; the tears in his eyes glistened in the almost dark room.

Immediately, I knew this emotion was not just based upon him seeing the skeleton bone; he was more than likely overwhelmed by what happened tonight.

“We should rest.” I suggested, dragging my knees to my chest and resting my arms upon them. Alec nodded and his head pressed further against my shoulder.

It took him an hour to fall asleep, and throughout that time, my eyes would occasionally dart to the door of the prison, which I could see because of the angle in which I sat.

I couldn’t help but think that either Eric or Bryant would walk through it soon enough.

My thoughts soon drifted to Hannes, and I wondered how he felt regarding the death of his aunt. I was sure anger would be shown to me if I did meet him again.

In his mind, Anabelle had done the right thing by killing my parents, and my words had not managed to sway his belief.

I bit hard on my tongue and my tired, stinging eyes watched the flames of the torch on a wall opposite the barred cell door.

Memories of the flames which had eaten away at the limbs of my parents surfaced.

I ran a hand over my face, dragging in a ragged breath and then choked on the musty scents in the cell.

Alec whimpered softly when I did so, and I rubbed at my face once more, lifting my eyes to the ceiling as I waited for morning to come. I wouldn’t be sleeping tonight.

********

“Change.”

Bryant tossed a handful of clothes towards me, and I barely managed to catch them before they fell to the ground.

Behind him, Eric looked on silently, leaning against a wall, arms folded across his chest. He looked tired, and there was a light dusting of a beard on his face; it looked like he too hadn't slept much last night, and I felt a small bit of contentment at this.

I could hear Alec moving back and forth, clearly anxious by the presence of the two men. He'd awoken because of their loud voices demanding that we come to the door.