Breakfast and Surprises

The trees swayed in the wind as the sky became dark from the rain clouds above. The rain hadn't started, but I could smell the incoming storm, and I knew it was going to be a huge one. 

Looking at my phone, I wandered through Manhattan until I got to a restaurant called The Smith. It was somewhat on the way to Central Park, just a little east of the Avengers tower. 

When I got there, I was seated and I looked at the menu. I ordered a latte while I decided on what I wanted for breakfast. Finally deciding on a BLT & E sandwich, I finished my latte and waited for my food.

Families were around me, enjoying life, oblivious to who was near them. What was next to them. I was a monster now, a murderous monster. I knew everything. And now, so did the Avengers. I had no doubt that Nick and Maria knew now, maybe even Ryan and Miranda knew. 

A waitress brought me my food, and I ate in silence. My phone vibrated in my pocket and I looked at it. Two notifications; one from Nat and one from Ryan.

I went to Nat's message first. 

"Hey Alexx, everyone knows, but that doesn't mean they all hate you. I'm explaining it all to them, they should calm down soon. I'm sorry."

I sighed and text her back. 

"Thanks, Nat. Good luck."

I then looked at Ryan's message. 

"You know, I always wondered what happened to you that day we met, but now that I know, I'm not sure I like it. So, let's ignore it and pretend it never happened. I'm still your friend. Your best friend. Love ya"

I smiled sadly and replied.

"Love ya too, Ry."

I finished my food, paid and stood up, ready to leave. Looking outside, I realized that the rainstorm was much closer now.

"Just my luck." I mumbled as I left the restaurant. 

Walking down the street, other people getting their umbrellas out or running for shelter, I just kept walking. The rain started to fall hard, drenching me in seconds, but I didn't care. I wouldn't get sick, and if I did, it wouldn't matter.

I kept going until I reached Central Park and I sat under a wooden gazebo, dripping wet from the rain. In fact, the gazebo didn't provide much more shelter than just being outside. I heard a rustle from a nearby bush and went to investigate. Looking under the bush, I saw a soaked and muddy little animal. 

"Oh, hello there. Are you alone?" I asked.

The little animal whined and I slowly reached toward it. It cowered away from me, but I was gentle and placed my hand on its head. 

"It's okay. We're both broken and alone." 

The animal rubbed its hand against my hand and I smiled sadly. I carefully picked it up and rubbed away some of the mud on its face. It was a puppy, maybe two weeks old. She must have gotten lost and her family never found her.

I held the puppy close and heat myself up a bit, helping her warm up. I used my over-shirt to wipe off the mud and revealed a small chocolate lab in my hands. 

"You're very cute, young lady. We can stay here until the rain stops." I nodded and pet the pup, which soon fell asleep in my arms. 

Sitting on the ground with my back against the stone wall of the gazebo, I soon found myself falling asleep as well. But not too long after I fell asleep, I felt someone touching my shoulder.

"Alexx. Alexx, wake up." A voice said.

I opened my eyes and looked at the puppy, still asleep. Then I looked up. 

"Steve?" I asked.

Steve stood in front of me, soaked and nodded. "I see you made a new friend."

"Kinda had to. I don't think I have anymore friends..."

Steve sat beside me and sighed. "I'm sorry for overreacting."

"You didn't overreact. I would have done the same."

"But I shouldn't have. I realized I treated you horribly. You and Bucky are in the same boat, I can't treat one of you differently."

I looked at Steve and nodded. "Yeah, that's true. Plus, I've been away from HYDRA for years now."

Steve chuckles quietly. "So, what's your plan?"

"For right now? Wait for the rain to stop. After that, I don't know. No one will want me in the tower."

"I won't let them kick you out, Alexx. You live there now. You are an Avenger now, and they will have to accept it."

I shrugged. "Nat does. Probably because of her own checkered past."

Steve agrees and we continue to talk about my past and other reasons I should be allowed to stay in the tower. The puppy in my lap continued to sleep.

After about 15 more minutes, the rain stopped and Steve stood up, offering me his hand. 

"Alright, let's get going so we can get you and that puppy cleaned up." 

Carefully holding the puppy in one hand and close to my chest, I take Steve's hand and he pulls me to my feet. We walk through the freshly rained on park toward the road to find a taxi. Then, we head back to the tower.