Lying

Nate

"Nate there is no way"

"Ares, I'm telling you it's true!"

"You can't be sure Nate! What if this girl isn't what you think she is? What if she's lying or something?"

"She's not" I growled getting angry.

"There is no way Balker would do that. I know Balker, he's not that much of an ass. He doesn't have the guts to do this job"

"What if you don't know him that well?" I was desperately trying to convince him. I believed Rose, she couldn't be lying. I didn't want her to be lying.

"Seriously? You're going to believe a girl and not me?" He asked crossing his arms.

I froze. He couldn't be doing this.

"Are you forgetting all you risked and did for Serenity?"

"That's different! I knew her, you don't even know that girl. Nate I'm not saying you shouldn't help her, I'm saying look more into it"

He was right. I didn't know this girl and it wasn't the same thing. He loved Serenity. I was just trying to do something good for once.

"Okay" I mumbled nodding my head. "I will"

"I'll help"

"No" I said firmly. "I won't put you and your gang in trouble for this"

"My gang? You're in this gang too"

"I don't want to ruin your reputation for this. I'll do this alone"

"No" He said frowning. "You helped me when I needed you. I want to be there for you" He said.

Damn he's going to make me tear up.

"I'll try not to get you involved. This is something I decided to do on my own"

"If Balker is really doing this then it is something we should all be worried about"

"Until we're sure don't worry about it" I said getting ready to leave.

"Nate" He said putting his hand on my shoulder. "You'll tell me if you need anything, right? I'm with you on this one" He said with a ghost of a smile.

I couldn't help but smile as well. He was so happy now with his family. I had been trying to do all the heavy jobs so he wouldn't be in danger because he had a family now and he had to stay safe. It wouldn't matter if I was gone, but he had a whole family that relied on him.

"Oh stop with that cheesy stuff" I said and pushed him away smirking.

He laughed, "Go home now. Leo is going to scare her away"

"Thank you Ares" I said and left.

I drove to my apartment thinking of what I had to do. Yes, that girl could be lying but something told me she was telling the truth. That terrified look on her face, the way she never looked at me, her bruises.

I had to find out if she was telling the truth and I desperately needed her to be telling the truth.

I unlocked the door to my apartment and heard silence.

Did Leo kill her? Did he really?

I walked into the living room and found her asleep on the couch and Leo reading a newspaper in the armchair.

"Oh you're-" I shushed him because I didn't want to wake her up. She looked really uncomfortable in that position and I wanted to put her to bed but I didn't know how.