27.

The following days, Amara spent in isolation. Prince Damien had all his meals with her, in her room, if not every waking moment.  

It unsettled her that Prince was reciprocating her feelings. Was this just a dream? Would she wake up and find herself back at the orphanage?

There was another thought that bothered her. 

What on earth is going inside his head? 

It was something she pondered over most of her time alone. The Prince never did approach her in a dishonourable way. He kept his distance and always asked if she were well, or if she needed anything. It warmed her heart whenever he took it upon himself to fulfil whatever she needed. 

He never resorted to flattery or gifted her expensive gifts. She was thankful for that. 

The maids had already come and helped her get dressed like they did every morning. She was clothed in a bright blue long top and loose pants. It didn't seem like the clothes any commoner would wear because of the soft fabric that felt like a feather against her skin.

A knock at her door made her look up from her book. 'Come in!'

The door opened only to reveal the handsome Crown Prince. He was clothed in the way he always had and yet Amara's heart quickened at the sight of him. 

'Good morning, Amara,' He greeted her with his pearly whites on display. 'May I come in?' He asked. 

Sometimes, she found it hard to believe that he sought permission to enter her room. He owned the castle and it wasn't necessary for him to do that but he did and the fact that he valued her privacy gave her immense joy. 

'Yes, of course, Prince Damien!' She greeted back with equal enthusiasm, not trying to fight back the surge of heat that rushed through her cheeks. 

He entered the room and shut the door behind him. 

'I spoke with Phoebe earlier this morning,' He scratched the back of his neck nervously which made her frown. 

'And she told me that you can-' he struggled for words, '-walk around.' He paused to consider his words, 'That is only under supervision.'

Amara wanted to burst out laughing like a little teenage girl. Controlling the urge to laugh, she decided to play with him. She folded her arms, 'Walk?'

The tips of his ears turned red as he fumbled for words, 'I-I- yes! I mean it could be more- more than a walk- I-I hope it could be more than that but a walk is just fine.'

Her heart warmed at his gesture as a full-fledged laugh tore its way through her. 

'That wasn't funny, Amara,' He grumbled like a little child but couldn't hide the amusement from his voice. 

'It certainly was,' She was down to giggles. 'But I would love to walk under your supervision.' 

His face brightened up, 'Alright!' He clasped his hands together, 'I've got something that will help you walk.' Swiftly, he opened the door and exchanged a few words with the warrior that was stationed outside her door. When he came back, he had a walking stick in hand. 

She stared at it incredulously, 'I don't need that!'

He chuckled at her reaction, 'Come now, Amara.' He extended his hand toward her. She took herself by surprise when her hand shot out immediately to grab it. It elicited an amused smile from him and a wild blush from her.   

'Don't hurry, Amara. Take your time.' 

She huffed, gazing anywhere else but at him, 'I'm not hurrying.' 

It felt good to get back on her feet. He pushed the walking stick in her other hand, 'You don't really need it but I would appreciate it if you walked with it.'

'You certainly have your way with words, Prince Damien.' 

He grinned, 'It's a request from the Prince, Amara.' 

She giggled again and took it, 'It would be quite rude of me to say no.' 

'It certainly would,' He spoke as he looped her arm around his. She looked at him questioningly to which he replied, 'I hope you don't mind.' 

She shook her head and with a smile that refused to leave her face she said, 'I don't.' 

Prince Damien didn't march to the Garden like he used to. Instead of taking complete long strides, he took short ones, making sure that it didn't cause Amara any discomfort. Despite everything, she still looked radiant as the sun. He admired her courage, her beauty, her enthusiasm... everything about her was admirable

When the maids came with their coats, he helped her wear it before putting on his. 

The red that rose up to her cheeks every time he did something to express his affection was something he lived to see. No part of him would ever deny that. 

'It's still the same,' Amara spoke as they walked on the path that had been shovelled. 

There was certainly nothing to see because everything was covered with snow. 

He watched as her hair glimmered in the dim sunlight. Her cheeks were pink and so was the tip of her nose. The presence of her next to him made him feel the kind of happiness he never thought he would. 

With her, he seemed to be at peace despite his racing heart and heaving chest... and maddening desires. 

'Can I court you, Amara?' 
The words came out as a mere whisper. 

She stilled. 

He would be lying if he claimed that he didn't fear her answer. It was something he wanted to do... court her, like she was a Royal. He wanted to show her how much he desired to be with her. It would be a shame to do that in confidence. If she gave him permission to court her, he wouldn't have to keep it a secret. 

When those forest green eyes connected with his, a surge of electricity went down his spine. They were so inviting and alluring. 

There it was, again, that blushing face, he so madly adored. 

'What?' 

'Can I court you, Amara?' he repeated word for word. 'If you agree then I can publically shower you with all my affection but I won't force you. You can take all the time you need to think about it. I will wait.'

She lowered her gaze but he caught the slight smile on her face and grinned widely. 

Her stomach tingled. The Prince was already spoiling her with so much affection. She pursed her lips and shyly glanced at the person she adored the most. A question popped up in her mind. She summoned her courage and asked him, 'Will I be able to do that too?'

She felt stupid immediately. 

'It works both ways, Amara.'

She blushed harder, 'You really want to...' Unable to explain it she closed her eyes, saving herself from a whole deal of embarrassment. Had she read the situation wrong? There could be no way that the Prince would want her. 

She felt his warm fingers on her chin. Those eyes that she adored were looking at intensely, 'Yes. I intend to marry you.' He lowered his gaze, 'That is if you'll have me.'

Her breath hitched. She let her eyes wander shamelessly over his divine beauty. He was as pale as the moon. The way his pale blue eyes darkened whenever they met hers, made her heart soar over the oceans. 

She wanted to pinch herself. This was too good to be true. 

'So do I have your permission?' He looked at her expectantly. She saw a hint of vulnerability in his eyes. 

He was being truthful. 

 'Yes,' she answered breathlessly, without wasting another moment.