II.onward home(?)

Letting out a soft sigh, Genesis mentally cursed himself for fooling the innocent, young and beautiful Agatha Harris.

She sure expected a white man as her husband and what was waiting for her here in Texas? A former slave like him, not even a marriage in hand.

Oh, how stunned he was when he saw the woman wearing the hat encircled with a blue ribbon in the station.

Truth is, Genesis doesn't know what to expect for starters but what stood opposite him was more his wildest imagination could conjure.

"She looks like an angel, for god's sake," murmured Genesis. His hazelnut eyes traveling around hers, with her mesmerizing red hair escaping its bun, her cheeks blushing, plump lips biting, her captivating blue eyes roaming around, her slender form, skin as white as snow, very contrasting against his.

His guilt deepened when he saw her standing on the platform, looking obviously nervous.

Genesis can't just seem to find himself walking towards her, guilt eating him, and so, like her, he stood in the corner, watching her even as she waved the hat.

He just can't go around approaching her, he knew that people might mistake him as her helper, not that he minds but he was getting sick of it.

Half of his life, he was a mere slave, beaten up to the very bone, the evidence all over his scarred back and now's the time to leave all those behinds.

And he sure knew he can't do that if he has no heir to his land.

Finally, when the people had finally disappeared, that's when Genesis had the courage to approach her.

Up close, that's when he realized she looked way too young for him and that she was close to crying. Guilt pangs in his heart, he should've swallowed his pride and not kept her waiting.

This girl had every right to cry, standing all alone in a foreign land, expecting to marry a stranger.

After giving the horses their meal, he headed straight to the merchandise store, purchasing a couple of supplies for their two-week-journey.

Suddenly, his mind drifted back to Agatha, with her sweet face and voice, guilt kept eating him alive. He then remembered the battered carpetbag she carried with her, he knew the poor girl probably barely had clothes.

After stuffing the supplies inside the buggy, Genesis climbed upstairs, knocked a few times, a meal on his hand.

However, Agatha failed to answer. He knocked once again, with that, his heart skipped a beat.

Fretting over the what-ifs. What if she chose to escape him due to their race-difference?

Barely even knowing the girl, Genesis, for some reason, cannot digest the idea of Agatha leaving him.

Desperate and improper may it sound, he opened the door, and there he caught Agatha sleeping soundly in the single bed, looking more angelic than ever.

Releasing the breath he didn't know he was holding, Genesis placed the metal tray in the bedside table, his feet glued beside the bed, staring down at her sleeping form.

She looked way too young when she was sleeping. Genesis, wondering how old she is. Nineteen? Twenty?

After a couple of seconds, taking off his hat, he sat down in the corner, a few feet away from the bed, his gaze shifting from the endless roads ahead of them outside and the beautiful sleeping woman.

Genesis can't seem to keep his eyes from her for the truth is, he has never seen such red hair like hers, her seductive lips hanging ajar, her long lashes resting on her cheek, her slender neck, and lastly, the endless trails of her freckles.