III.used and abused

Three days had passed. Every night, Genesis would set up a small tent for Agatha.

Despite Agatha knowing the two of them would likely be sharing the same bed in the future, she was still grateful Genesis chose to sleep outside.

Still, a hollow pit resides inside her, guilty for letting him sleep all alone in the cold, cold ground despite the presence of a fire pit near them.

"We-we could share the tent, sir," suggested Agatha the first night, eyeing Genesis set up the tent, mesmerized by the movement of his broad bicep.

"Am more comfortable outside," replied Genesis after a long moment of silence, as if he was debating himself whether his answer would be.

"But it'll be da-dark outside, and cold, and animals would be lurking,"

Genesis stopped midway, his gaze lingering to her, his brow meeting, "I'm used to it, it makes one feel more manly, dear,"

All Agatha could do is reply with a nod, his gaze shifting sideways for she could feel him staring.

The truth is, she was afraid of sleeping alone ever since what transpired a few months ago in Cedarburg. A memory she tried so hard to forget.

She knew the company of a man was the last thing she needed but somehow, for whatever reason, Genesis radiated security.

Plus, Agatha was ashamed for using the flap while its owner slept outside, presumably cold.

Eating together by the fire, both their skin illuminated by the fire, Agatha captivated by the color of his skin, so was Genesis but both said nothing regarding it.

Instead, they ate in silence. "Tell me about your home," said Genesis one night, causing Agatha to halt midway, the spoon up in the air.

Composing herself, she let herself have the liberty to look back to her not-so-distant past, "No-not that Cedarburg's my home but as I told you in the letters, I who-worked at this dinner for five years, lived in my employer's washing room,"

Genesis cannot help himself from feeling sorry for her, he knew he lived in a far worse place but for a soft innocent girl like her? He just can't imagine her sleeping every night in the washing room.

All of a sudden, he felt a strong urge to wrap his arms around her, protect her from all evil but quickly shook his head. Funny how he wants to protect her from evil when he himself is evil.

Using a too-good-to-be-true girl for his own agenda. For his pride.

"Were they ever abusive?" He found himself asking, awaiting her reaction which he did find judging from the quick panic that swept through her features which she swiftly schooled.

"The-they treated me like a family, sir," she stuttered, looking downcast, her fingers fidgeting around her lap.

Genesis perfectly knew the answer before she opened her mouth for he, too, is no stranger to abusive employers. He has his scarred body to attest to that.

God knows Genesis wants to ask further regards her experience but decided not to. It's obvious the girl doesn't want to talk about it.

'She'll talk when she's ready,' thought Genesis, eyeing Agatha, his clenching his denim pants, his blood boiling.

A sudden urge to head straight to the train station, purchase a ticket bound to Cedarburg, and beat the hell out of her employers suddenly swept through him.

"Texas would surely be a home to you, Agatha," comforted Genesis, offering a light smile.

All Agatha could ever do is nod and smile, praying how the man before her is saying nothing but the truth.