Chapter 21

Cameron Santiago POV

I feel like I've been hit by a truck. You know when you feel yourself waking deep sleep. I feel pain. I feel slumped. I don't even want to open my eyes. I feel something holding my right hand. Something is blowing air up my nose. I'm curious to see why I am waking up like this. I'm so confused.

Then it hits me. I was shot. All the memories come back.
I gasp and take my right hand to my left shoulder. I open my eyes and see Ash and Ali both around me startled by my sudden movement but they are quick to calm me down.

"No, sweetheart. Be careful you just had surgery on it." Ali says gently moving my hand away from my shoulder.

I think I looked panicked because Ash starts talking, "It alright. You're okay. You're safe now." She says grabbing the hand Ali pulled away and rubbing it.

"I-I was shot." I stutter out in shock.  My voice coming out raspy.

"I know." Ash responds with a sad look.

"People got shot. People were murdered." Ash nods her head at my comment.

"You both are here?" I question still in shock over the events.

"We are." Ali says firmly. "We wouldn't be anywhere else."

I feel a lot of pain and memories hit. All too familiar feelings of my stomach churning surfaces. I gag holding down whatever contents are in my stomach long enough to get something under my mouth. I think Ali knew what was happening because she had a basin under my mouth within seconds. I start throwing up.
Ash gets up saying she's going to get a nurse. Ali stays with me pulling my hair out of my face and rubbing my back. I throw up to a point where I end up dry heaving. The nurse comes and assesses me.

"It's the pain mixed with memories." I explain to her when she questions me.

"Okay. I'm going to up your dose of morphine. That should-" I cut her off when I heard morphine.

"No. No drugs." I state.

"Listen you are in a lot of pain. This is going to help you." She tries to get across to me.

"I can't. I'm a recovering addict. No drugs. Take me off it." I grunt as I feel a wave of pain when I lean forward.

"Okay. Okay. How about a high dose of Tylenol and Advil?" The nurse tries to see what she can do.

"Perfect." She stops the morphine and with that she excuses herself to go get the medication.

A few minutes later she comes back with the meds and a cup of water.
"The doctor should be here shortly." She said before leaving.

I flinch when I feel someone move the hair out of my face. I see hurt flash across Ash's face.

"I'm sorry." I get out quickly.

"No, don't apologize." Ash says. I see pity in her eyes.

"The team can't wait to hear from you. They have been so worried. So have we." Ali comments before we sit in silence. I observe them and their body language. They look exhausted and tired.

My thoughts are interrupted when there was knocking on the door to my room. I see two uniformed policemen and a women detective.

"Hi, Ms. Santiago. My name is Diane and these two are Matt and Luke. I know this is soon but we need a statement from you." The detective says.

"Um okay. Can they stay with me?" I point to Ash and Ali.

"If you feel comfortable with it, then yes." She smiles back.

"Is that okay?" I then ask Ali and Ash in case they aren't okay with it. They look surprised I would even ask that question.

"Of course. We are by your side no matter what." Ali states and Ash squeezes my hand.

"Okay, Ms. Santiago. I need you to recall everything from your day." Diane says.

"I woke up at seven in the morning and went on a run. Got back to my dorm at eight and ate. Around nine, I went to take my exams. I finished two out of three around one. Me and my friend, Kasey decided to go study in the library before we had to take our last one. We were on the second floor sitting at the table when I heard the first shot. She told me to run so I did. We were running down the stairs and I saw someone in a ski mask and black hood holding an automatic gun. I tried to stop Kasey from running down the stairs but I couldn't catch her in time. I ended up hiding behind a vase on the platform in the middle of the staircase. Wasn't the best place to hide figuring he caught me and all. I remember him shooting me and the rest is almost a blur." I say monotonically. I don't want to get worked up again. Ali and Ash look horrified as I recall the events.

"Okay, thank you so much for your time. Any questions for me?" The detective asks.

"Did you catch them?" I naively asked.

"They wouldn't go down without a fight and they all ended up getting killed." She replies. I just nod shocked. How come they won't be able to suffer like those they hurt? Wow. At least they won't cause anyone anymore pain.

"Thanks." I say.

"Here's my card, if you need to reach me for whatever reason. I wish you a speedy recovery." And with that, her and the police officers leave the room.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
I feel like I'm dragging out the story. If you agree just let me know and I'll see what I can do about it.
Much love,
~AK