WATCH IT, VAMP!

I woke up with a splitting headache. Groaning, I held my head. Why was I aching all over? Right! Yesterday, Kiera had suggested that she charm me before giving me the mark since it would be extremely painful. But Ryne forbade it.

"It's a punishment. She is supposed to feel the pain," he had said.

That heartless bastard! Like he hadn't made things hard enough for me. All I remembered after, was Kiera branding the skin above my right wrist. I had been through much in just twenty-four hours. Not only had I gotten my energy sealed for the first time, but I had also battered my body by scalding my skin over and over again. It must have taken a toll on me for I was knocked out cold.

I glanced at my right hand. It bore a similar mark with a circle and a horizontal line within. I didn't know what all of the symbols meant but at this point I was beyond caring. I wondered how I ended up in my bed. Did Ryne bring me back? No, he was the type of person who would gladly leave me out in the cold all night. Besides, he wouldn't have been allowed in here. Well that didn't matter. What mattered was that I had to recover as soon as possible. I needed to collect the remaining marks in just two days.

"Meredith, my champion,'" I heard a voice inside my head. Startled, I looked around at my still sleeping roommates. None of them budged. This voice... I had heard it before, just once. It was the voice that sent me on my quest.

"My Lord," I responded in my head.

Lord Dragomitus commanded in a raspy voice, "You are close, my child. Find me."

"Can you tell me where you are?"

"Find me," he repeated.

"My Lord,'"I tried to sound less annoyed, "Do you enjoy playing hide and seek? What are you going to lose if you guide me?"

"Impatient as always. I have watched you grow up, Meredith. Maybe someday you will make a great queen. But you have much to do first. You need to learn patience, destroy impulse, control your tongue and plan ahead."

"Okay, mom," I whispered.

"I heard that, Meredith," his voice had a hint of amusement.

"I meant for you to hear it," I said as I rolled my eyes. I stretched my body. I was so sore.

"I am still here, Meredith," he said.

"Well, you told me you have always been watching me. So I guess it's not new to you," I said.

"You forget yourself, child. I am still your Lord," he said in a baffled tone.

"My Lord," I said, clearly exasperated, "you sent me to this wretched place on a quest to find you. Now you won't tell me where you are. I have no clue and not even a phone-a-friend option right now. If I don't find you, I am as good as dead, no, I am dead. So, I'm sorry if I forget myself. Okay?" I rambled on in my head as I moved towards the washroom.

"I... apologize," he said.

Shocked, I stood in my spot. Did the great god, Dragomitus, who's worshipped by all dragon-kind just apologize to me? I felt a little guilty for throwing a tantrum.

"Look, I'm sorry too. I'm just under a lot of stress right now. Apart from finding you, I also need to earn the marks of all the heads. Ugh! I now understand why warlocks and dragons have been mortal enemies. Right now, I just want to strangle Ryne Novak," I said.

"Child! Watch your tongue! Hecate destroyed my children back then due to the murder of her champion. No matter how much you hate that boy, you cannot even think about touching him," he said gravely.