Ten: More Secrets Come Out

~Nikki~

April 9th, 2012

“You had my heart! And we’ll never be worlds apart! Maybe in magazines, but you'll still be my star. Baby cause in the dark, you can’t see shiny cars! That’s when you’ll need me there, with you I’ll ways share. Because! When the sun shines, we’ll shine together! Told you I’d be here forever! I forgot the words! Something about sticking it out until the end!” is was what woke me up this morning.

I sleepily walked down the steps, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. From the stairs, I saw Chandler franticly running around the kitchen while singing an Umbrella cover by All Time Low. I stood there for a second, confused. Even though he’s yelling the lyrics, he doesn’t sound half bad. “Chandler can sing?” I mumbled to myself in shock. I’ve known him 11 years, yet I didn’t know he could sing that well.

“Now that it's raining more than ever! Know that we'll still have each other! You can stand under my umbrella! You can stand under my umbrella! Ella, ella, ay, ay, ay! Under my umbrella, ella ella, ay, ay, ay. Under my umbrella ella, ella, ay, ay, ay. Under my umbrella, ella, ella, ay ay, ay ,ay, ay, ay!” he continued you run around the kitchen, totally oblivious to the fact that I was standing on the stairs watching him act like a total fool.

It’s so rare to see Chandler act like a normal human. I mean, yes, he smiles and acts silly. But he’s always very…controlled. If you’re around him long enough, you can tell that he never fully lets go. Seeing him act like this almost made me forget that I’m still not talking to him. I shouldn’t be mad that he invited Clair to stay here now that we’re friends, but I am.

“Oh sh--!” Chandler yelled, nearly dropping a pan. I guess he heard me laugh. “Good morning.” he said coolly, getting control of himself as he put the frying pan onto stove before turning around and leaning on the counter with a smile. “Happy Birthday.” he said, his smile growing wider as he unplugged the radio next to him.

I shot him a fake smile. “Thanks.”

He sighed, turning back around to face the stove. “Still mad at me?”

“Yup.” I said flatly. I’m not exactly sure what he thinks I’m mad about, but at least he knows. I haven’t talked to him much since Clair got here. Mostly because I’ve been with Page or Misty and even Clair. But not Collin…we haven’t spoken in a while. I probably should call him before prom. He’s gonna be a little mad if I show up with Page without telling him.

“Hey, Nikki?” Chandler asked, turning around to face me again. His face was thoughtful, like he’s thinking of something from the past. “Do you remember that time I kissed you?”

I blinked, a little taken aback by his question. “Of course.” I blurted out. But it’s true. How could I forget that? He was the first person to ever kiss me. Even though it was such a long time ago, I remember him kissing me. “It was two weeks before you left m--” I stopped myself, snapping my mouth shut. This is why I can’t lose control. Even though I’m to the point where I don’t care if Chandler knows, blurting out my feelings by accident is a terrifying thought. “Us. For school.”

“Yes. I was wrong for that. Horribly wrong for stealing your first kiss. Especially with the age difference.” he said this to me, but he was looking at the thin air like there was something written there that I couldn’t see. He sighed, laughing lightly before finally looking at me. “But I had to have it. I couldn’t stand the idea of someone else kissing you first.”

I just stared at him, completely taken aback again and confused. Why is he bringing this up? And more importantly, why is he looking at me like that? Like he’s burning to tell me something? “Chandler, I don’t want--”