seventeen

chapter seventeen - the return

Aubrey, Harry, Ron, and Hermione stopped by my office before they headed down to Hagrid's.

We all ran into Draco Malfoy and his friends, but Aubrey and I continued down to Hagrid's hut when the other three stopped. I didn't see or hear anything. 

I didn't even know that Hermione punched Draco in the face until Harry and Ron told Aubrey.

"Sorry, Professor. He was being -"

"I didn't see it, and Malfoy didn't come to me. As far as I know, it didn't happen."

Harry grinned wickedly as I shrugged. Hermione smiled sheepishly as we reached the hut. I allowed them to go in first as I wanted to say hello to Buckbeak. 

I didn't get close, I just clicked at him to get his attention and waved. Buckbeak nodded his head low before turning away. As I turned from him and back to the hut, I couldn't help but feel incredibly sad. There wasn't anything I could legally do to help him, but he had done nothing wrong. 

"What're yer four doing here? Without a -"

"Hello, Hagrid."

"Oh, Jemina."

"I asked Mum to come with us and stay with you once the Minister arrives," Aubrey smiled. I was not surprised to see Hagrid smiling, his eyes glossy at the kind gesture, "We know we can't stay for very long, but nobody can make her leave. She's your friend, and she's an adult. We also know you'll need comfort, before and after."

"Thank yer, all of ye."

"It's really no problem, Hagrid."

"I got something for yer," Hagrid exclaimed to Ron as suddenly as the thought seemed to pop into his head. As he went to his counter, Ron looked at Harry and Aubrey with a concerned look on his face. For a moment, I wondered what Hagrid could possibly have for Ron, but then I heard the squeaking, "Yer should keep a closer eye on yer pets, Ron."

"Scabbers! You're alive!"

"I think that means you owe someone an apology."

"Oh, right," Ron turned to Hermione with a scowl on his face. I knew that those two had been in a row for quite a long time now, Esme had kept me updated on the chronicles of Crookshanks and Scabbers, but I avoided getting involved. I was biased, it wouldn't bother me one bit if Crookshanks did kill Scabbers. Rats were my least favorite creatures, especially such a rat as vile as Scabbers. I pretended I wasn't listening by kneeling down and petting Fang, "Well, the next time that I see Crookshanks I'll be sure to let him know."

"I meant me!"

"Blimey! What was that?"

I heard the sound of thick glass breaking and turned back towards them. My hand instinctively flew to my wand, but Hermione picked up a small rock from the table. The jar of grain was broken, as though someone had thrown the rock into the house. I tried not to seem so defensive, as I knew it would startle them. 

Moments after, Harry hissed in pain as another rock hit him in the back of the head. 

Harry turned to the window, and immediately seemed to panic, "Hagrid!"

I followed Hagrid to the window and looked over Harry's shoulder. I frowned deeply when I saw the Minister of Magic, Headmaster Albus, and an executioner with an impressively large ax approaching the hut. 

"It's late... nearly dark, yer shouldn't be here, especially yer Harry."

"Since I have to stay, you four need to go, now. Get back to the castle before anyone sees you, otherwise Harry will be in a lot of trouble."