Chapter 24 Water

Third pov

Marinette yelped as one particularly powerful shock went through her arm and settling all the way to her shoulder.

"Angel, what happened?" Damian sounded worried.

"M-my arm. Oww." The painful tingles in her arm didn't subside for a good while, but Damian did his best to keep her mind off it as he told her stories of insane things his siblings had done.

One of them had her in stitches. He told her about the first time he'd seen Dick break a chandelier.

Apparently he'd been "tipsy" and thought it would be a smart idea to hang in the chandelier. The problem was that it wasn't made for people to hang in it and fell aaaaalllllll the way to the floor.

Alfred had not been amused and Bruce had looked like his soul left him. Tim had shrugged and left with his coffee while Jason had been laughing his ass off.

"I wish i had siblings." She mused. A smile on her face. "Although, I guess I do in a way..."

The faces of her team flashed in her mind.

"Your friends?" Damian guessed. "Do you- do you want to tell me about them?"

In a way Damian reminded Marinette of Felix. Both having a bit of a... Difficulty expressing feelings like everyone else. But they try and Marinette is grateful for Damian trying.

He doesn't push, just waits for an answer.

"Well, they're my closest friends. Honestly they're the people I really have a relationship with other than my parents and master Fu. We're a tight knit group." She hesitates. Doesn't know what she can say without revealing herself. "When Lila started with her games, they had my back. No one else did."

"I guess you can call them my anchor in a way, when were in Paris we can't just, show when we're feeling angry or sad. But the longer you go without letting some of those feelings out.." She trails off.

*********************************************************

Damian was just about to answer when the screen turned on.

"If it isn't baby Wayne and his girlfriend. How are you doing in there? Any surprises?" He laughed. "Riddle me this. This is something you can find in a lake and in a stream, when frozen it turns to ice and when boiled it turns to steam?"

He frowned, sharing a look with Marinette through the fence between them.

His breath caught and her eyes widened. "Water." they said just as it started flowing into the room.

Damian was so going to mess with Grayson, Todd and Drake later.

Shouldn't they have found them already?

And why is the Riddler dead set on trying to kill them?

The water was quickly up to their waists.

Then- a crackle. "Hey, sorry about being late. We had to look all over Gotham for you. Just, uh, hang on. We'll get you out as soon as possible."

Dick's voice said through the buildings intercom.

Damian felt a bit better at that, but he and his Angel would be done for if his brothers aren't fast enough.

Wait, since when is she his angel?

He'd have to think about that later...

********************************************************

Marinette was panicking as water filled the room.

Nononononono.

Not water. Anything but water.

Bodies. Bodies everywhere- she blinks. Once. Twice. There's no bodies here. No dead people.

Just her and Damian.

No Syren.

Still, she feels sick and paralyzed. Fear seeping deep into her bones.

"Damian?" She hates how weak she sounds.

He looks over as good as he can and her panic must be showing because he gets something hard in his eyes as he glares at the screen before swimming as close as he can.

"Angel, look at me. Come on, look at me. We're gonna be okay. We'll be okay." As he's talking he stretches a hand out and cathes hers.

It feels a bit better.

Until the water is up to her mouth and they're swimming at the top of the room.

And panics sets in for real. Not even Damian's hand calms her then because when she looks around all she sees is Paris deep under water.

Vote and comment, it keeps me motivated :)