Chapter 22: Trapped

Artwork by nanananagieh

You kept replaying the incident with Markus over and over in your head. You couldn't help but wonder if you made the wrong choice. You hadn't even thought at the time. You simply pulled away from him, confused in your feelings. Until you knew exactly who you wanted to be with, you felt you could not play Markus like that. But what if you already had? Did you already betray his trust?

You continued to wonder as you chopped up vegetables in home economics class. You were so lost in your thoughts, that you nearly cut your finger. You gasped, pulling your hand away.

"Are you okay?!" Kara asked beside you, gently taking your hand and looking at it.

"I'm fine. Don't worry," You replied, pulling your hand back. Kara studied you for a long moment, and you were unable to meet her gaze. She then turned, scooping up the vegetables and dropping them into a frying pan. The oil sizzled and popped.

"You know, I haven't seen Markus around lately..."

You flinched. Did she know something about this? You felt her all knowing eyes on you, and you knew you could not lie to Kara.

"I wonder where he is..." You murmured, putting extra focus into your chopping. Kara stood beside the pan, quietly watching it sizzle.

"Do you like Markus [F/N]?"

You flinched for the second time. Kara really did seem to be able to read your mind!! You turned away, so she would not notice the flush on your face.

"Well... I-I mean... I guess so..."

"Oh?" Kara replied, and you could hear her teasing you, "But I thought you liked Connor."

"I-I do!! I like both of them..." You pouted, moving to the next vegetable to chop. Before you started however, Kara gently placed her hand on yours. You nervously looked up at her.

"You're a good person [F/N]. I know you mean well," She said softly, "But... you can't keep messing with their feelings."

"I-I'm not trying to!" You interrupted, but Kara shushed you.

"I am not saying you are," She continued, "But if this keeps up... someone is going to get hurt." She turned back towards the frying pan, and stirred the vegetables around. "You can't have both of them [F/N]. You need to decide. Markus... Connor... or neither of them."

As always, Kara was right. She was always able to read your mind somehow.

Yet even though you knew how right Kara was, deciding between Markus or Connor would be difficult. After much thought on it, you came to a decision. You would not choose between them for now. Instead, you would take the time to help them. You would help Connor become the investigator he wanted to be. And you would help Markus become the artist and pianist he wanted to be. That was the promise you made to yourself.

The next morning, you returned to school, excited to tell Kara of your decision. You were sure that Kara would give you words of advice, to help you achieve your new goal.

When you finally arrived at school, you pushed through the crowds of students, finally getting to your locker. As you searched for your books, you heard someone move beside you. Your heart quickened when you saw that it was Markus.

"Hey [F/N]," He greeted, his voice slightly nervous.

"G-Good morning Markus," You replied, closing your locker and starting to walk up the hallway. You could still not get the moment where he nearly kissed you out of your mind.

"Listen... about the other day..." He started. You finally paused, forcing yourself to look back at him.

"It's okay," You answered, "I don't want to hurt you Markus. I do like you. But I need some time to think."