Chapter 23: Mission

Artwork by mari_gdraws

"You... had a younger brother?" You asked slowly, watching Connor's face. He could not meet your eyes, and instead rolled the coin over and over in his hands. You were both sitting on the floor, and Connor leaned back against the side of his bed. From the way his shoulders slumped, you could see the way those memories weighed on him.

"His name was Cole," Connor continued, "He was 6 years old when he... he..." Connor trailed off, and the coin rolled from his hands onto the floor. Without thinking, you moved towards him, and wrapped your arms around him.

"I'm so sorry Connor..." You did not look at his face, but you could tell he was close to tears.

"My brother was the only one I felt I could truly get along with. The one person who kept our family together," Connor whispered, "He never knew it... but... after he passed away, our family was torn apart."

"What happened to him?"

Connor hesitated, before replying.

"I was 12, and my dad was driving Cole back from school. It was a snowy day... he never should have been driving." You listened, trying to remind yourself to breath. "The truck skidded on a sheet of ice, and his car... it rolled over..." Connor squeezed his arms around you, all the while not meeting your gaze. "My brother did not survive... and my father blamed himself after all these years."

"But it wasn't his fault."

"I know," Connor replied, finally pulling back from you, and looking at you with downcast eyes. "I know it wasn't his fault. But he still can't forget it. None of us can." He gritted his teeth, but tears welled up in his eyes, and ran down his cheeks. You leaned forward, wiping them away.

"You don't need to hide your tears..."

"I'm sorry... god I'm such a mess," Connor mumbled, wiping them away with the sleeve of his sweater. "I invited you over so we could hang out and have fun. Not so you could watch me have a breakdown." The side of his lips twitched up in a half-smile, but you could tell it was forced. Connor tried to wipe his face again, but you grabbed his hand, and held it in your own.

"I want to know more about you Connor," You told him honestly, "The moments that make you happy... and the moments that make you sad... I want to know about them all." Connor gazed at you for a long moment, before giving you a genuine smile.

He turned his head, looking around for something. Moments later, he leaned towards the coin that had previously rolled out of his hands. He tossed it from hand to hand for a moment, before studying it closer. Upon closer inspection, you noticed that it was a U.S. quarter dollar coin.

"My brother gave me this..." Connor said softly, "He found it in the parking lot of a diner we used to go to often, when we were all together, as a family." He gazed at the coin for a long moment, before chuckling slightly. "He carried the coin with him everywhere. He told me it was his 'lucky coin'. When I was scared of going to the dentist, he... he gave it to me. He told me that it would make me brave." Connor paused, exhaling slightly.

"After my appointment, I wanted to give the coin back to him. But he told me he wanted me to have it. To give me good luck..." Connor hesitated, before continuing, "Not long after that... he... he passed away. But I still had his coin. Tucked away in my pocket."

You leaned against his shoulder, brushing your hand over his. He took your hand, and squeezed it in his own.

"I wanted to leave the coin. After all, he should have had it. Perhaps then he would not have died... but every time I tried to leave it, something stopped me. As if my brother was right there, telling me that he wanted me to keep it. So I did... after all these years." To your surprise, Connor turned to you, and placed the coin in your hand. You gazed at it, unsure of what to say.