Chapter 6

Seconds after he left the room, I hugged the soft pillow under my head, burying my face in it as tears began rolling down my cheeks. It felt like my heart was turning cold in my chest, small cracks emerging at the edges, while a dark, black shadow tried to squeeze it so hard it would pop like a water balloon. As pathetic as it sounded, all I wanted was to imagine the soft pillow being my mom's body.

I choked out a sob, hugging the pillow even closer. I miss my mom. I miss my dad. Heart wrenching pain shot through my chest, but I didn't care enough to call a nurse or doctor. I don't care that it hurts, I just wanna go home.

Two fast knocks on the door made me rip my face off the pillow, unthinkingly screaming 'leave me alone' at the door, making my heart stop. All color left my face as the door was slowly opened, Alpha Allen coming into view. He gave me a concerned look, before carefully closing the door behind him, walking up to the hospital bed.

"I contacted your local police department, and the officer who saved your life will receive a considerable raise, as well as a month vacation to any destination of his choosing, so I've made sure he is aware of our gratefulness.

I was actually just about to contact your parents, but I figured that well... you'd probably like to share the happy news with them,"

He handed me a fancy phone with a large un-cracked screen. There were several app icons showing, covering a picture of a lot of people. I couldn't figure out who they were, given that all of the faces were either partially or completely covered by icons.

I looked down on the phone helplessly, yes I had a phone, but it was basically medieval compared to this. I looked back at him helplessly, tears still in my eyes. He quickly turned the screen away from me, tabbed it twice, and then handed it back to me, the number pad showing. I carefully took it from his hand, being cautious with my movements to make sure that I wouldn't touch his fingers.

I wrote their number on the screen, before looking up again. Yes, I technically have the right to call my family, but I am not gonna use the sadistic Alpha's phone for an emotional break-down call without his complete, undeniable permission.

His eyes widened, a bit embarrassed, I think. "Oh right, sorry, I'll leave you alone now," he whispered, before striding out of the room.

I stared at the door for a few seconds, waiting for something to happen. Whether it was him storming in and throwing me off the bed and into the wall, or rip the phone out of my hands, laughing at me for being stupid enough to actulálly think that he was gonna let me talk to my parents ever again, I wasn't quite sure. But after 5 minutes had passed, I figured I may as well actually try to call them.

I tabbed the green button on the screen, bringing it up to my ear. The ringing tone seemed deafening, my heart being the only thing I could hear besides it. The sound broke off when the phone was picked up.

"Hello, who is this?"

I sobbed happily at the sound of her voice. Mom.

"Hi mom, it's me, I'm okay, mom," I whispered, a hiccup forcing through at the end.

"Oh my lord, my sweet little girl! Oh god, I thought that you were... oh dear, I've been so worried! Have you...? Oh god, my darling, did one of them...? Have you been...?"

A sob tore painfully through my chest and throat. "I'm... one of them says I'm their mate, but he hasn't... thankfully. He probably would if it hadn't been for the fact that there are tubes and needles all over me and there are doctors and nurses coming in to check up on me every half an hour..."

"Doctors? Needles?! Are you in the hospital?! What did that awful monster do to you?! Oh my god, sweetie, I'm so sorry? What happened?"

"I... he had found me and... and left me alone in a room and then I, I wanted to leave, go home... I thought I could go out to one of the limousines and, I don't know, hide until we were supposed to be driven home, but I fell, and then this Alpha and a couple others came over and ... they broke some of my ribs, and my eye socket, and I punctured my lung, and, and mom I'm so scared, I wanna go home, mom. I just want to go home and hug you and dad and stay there forever... speaking of dad, can't I please talk to him? I... I need to hear his voice? Can you hand the phone over to him?" A hint of happiness appeared in my heart at the thought of speaking with my father. He was the embodiment of a classic suburban dad, always protective, a little clueless and ready with an awful joke you would only laugh at because it was awful.