Chapter Two

Dex is the first to move, rushing over to where Sophie and Stina are wrestling on the ground, and taking Sophie around the waist to pull her away. The teacher had taken Stina, her nose bleeding but not broken from what Fitz could tell. Which was probably for the best seeing as Biana had broken it a few months ago. Stina just wasn't having a good year.

Trying to get away, Sophie lashed out, but Dex held strong, whispering to her to calm down. Fitz was at his side before he knew it, taking Sophie's hand.

"It's okay, Sophie," he said. "Just calm down, okay? Talk to us."

Slowly, as if all her energy was leaving her like a popped balloon, she leaned back against Dex and closed in on herself. Her blonde hair was everywhere, the collar of her sweater pulled until the elastic had snapped. She looked to Fitz and it was then he noticed the tears in her eyes. Without another thought he spun on Stina.

"What did you say to her?" he demanded.

"Fitz," Dex tried to say, his voice calm and collected as usual, but Fitz wasn't having it. He glared at Stina, waiting for an answer.

"Me?" Stina snapped. "She was the one who punched me. What the hell is wrong with you freaks?"

Biana, who had been close, lunged, but Fitz caught her by the arm.

Sophie's homeroom teacher let out a loud, ear-piercing whistle. The whole class flinched. "Everyone settle down. Sophie, Stina, principal's office. Now."

Somehow, Dex and Fitz got roped into going. The two of them sat on either side of Sophie, and across from Stina, as they waited for the principal to call them in. Sophie had stayed quiet the whole time and Stina had taken the kleenex box from the front desk and was cleaning her nose. Not broken, Fitz decided. As far as he could tell, Sophie had one bruise along her cheekbone and her knuckles were battered. Stina, on the other hand, had a bruised and bloody nose, a black eye, and some kind of bruise along her collarbone. At least he knew who had been winning the fight.

"What happened?" Dex asked softly. Somehow, over the course of the five minutes being there, Sophie had taken his hand. Fitz wasn't sure what to think about that.

Sophie shook her head.

Fitz glowered at Stina, who noticed. "What are you looking at, Vacker?"

"What did you say to her, Heks?" he asked.

"I didn't say anything," she huffed, shoving her bloody tissues to the side. "She's the one that went crazy and started hitting me."

"Obviously, you said something because she wouldn't have hit you for no bloody reason," he snapped.

Dex sighed. "Fitz, please."

"No, she made Sophie upset on purpose and I want to know why."

"She asked why I was here," Sophie said, her voice small. "She asked why I wasn't in a mental institute. That I wasn't stable enough to be here with all the normal kids. I just...I just snapped."

"Because she's crazy," Stina replied.

Fitz was on his feet, but Dex was faster. He had let go of Sophie and placed himself between Stina and Fitz, his palms pressed against Fitz's chest. All he could see was red, his gaze locked onto Stina, who seemed so irritatingly smug regardless of the fact that she had just gotten her arse handed to her just a few minutes ago.

Suddenly, a warm hand found his chin and forced him to look away and down. He met Dex's gaze, blue and sharp. "Don't, Fitz. It's not worth it. Sophie needs you to stay calm. Come on, Wonderboy, okay?"