the lost one | yuno x reader AU

Author's Note:

I apologize for my lack of updates on this book. I've been working on "Crowns & Eternity". It's a Yuno x Reader book that takes place in an alternate universe. I plan to release the rest of the book very soon, but here's the first chapter. I want to know what you think of it.

Enjoy.

(Y/n) = Your Name

Is the blood on his hands? What if he would've stayed by her side? Would the empty space in their bed still remain? In the heart of the kingdom, the queen lives on. She may be lost, but perhaps she's not gone...

~Flashback~

On the day of their wedding anniversary, tragedy struck.

"Queen (Y/n), Queen (Y/n)! Please, say something!"

"She won't respond!"

"Somebody, call a doctor!"

"Queen (Y/n), please wake up!"

"Where's the king?!"

"She's fading! Hurry the hell up!"

The chalice from which she drank had tipped over on the table. The white tablecloth slowly soaked up the spilled contents of the cup. Oddly enough, the chaos in the room caused time to lag. It felt as though everything was moving in slow motion. One moment, the queen's alive and well. The next, she's fighting off death in an unconscious battle. The scene was truly frightening.

Though nobody in the room voiced it, they knew that the king would be ready to avenge his wife at any cost. This was the beginning of a dark era.

~End of Flashback~

Today marks a year since the day that Queen (Y/n) died from an unknown poison. In honor of her, the citizens of Heaven held a ceremony for her. King Yuno, on the other hand, solemnly watches this ceremony from his balcony, away from the crowd. He's especially silent today.

Knights of The Purgatory, lead by William Vangeance, enter the gates of the kingdom with a message of importance. The ceremony comes to a halt, catching the king's attention.

"If we may have your attention, please," Klaus, a Purgatory Knight, announces, "We apologize for the interruption, but it is advised that all angels and citizens return to their homes immediately. Until our knights have made a thorough investigation of this kingdom, absolutely no one can remain in the streets. That said, we'll be escorting people away from this ceremony in an orderly fashion. With your cooperation, we can make this as quick and easy as possible. Thank you."

Grumbles and complaints from the crowd are ignored as the knights remove people from the streets. King Yuno, sighing in annoyance, leaves his balcony to confront William. He was never notified of this in advance.

"King Yuno, we're glad you're here. I assume you must be wondering what's going on," William smiles.

With narrow golden eyes, Yuno nods slowly.

"Well, we just received word that a demon might've entered this kingdom without permission. As you know, part of our job requires us to deal with this sort of thing. Please forgive us, the timing is just terrible."

"I wouldn't be surprised if this is Luck's doing. Could be just another one of his sick pranks," Yuno suggests.

"King Luck as denied having any part in this. As a matter of fact, he'd like the intruder thrown in the dungeon once they're caught," William says.

"Does anyone know what this intruder looks like?"

"No, not exactly. They were spotted in a brown, hooded cape, carrying a leather satchel. Other than that, we haven't any additional information."

"I'll give you an hour to find them. After that, you're getting out of here," Yuno coldly demands.

"Understood. We'll make this quick."

~Time Skip~

Approaching the thirty-minute mark of their search, the Purgatory Knights stumble upon a demon's scent from within an abandoned home. They surround the structure in case the intruder tries to escape. William is the first to enter the home.

"We know you're in here. Come out so we can settle this," he calmly instructs.

Surprisingly, the intruder comes out of hiding, matching the description William had provided earlier. The anonymous demon removed the hood from their head. It was a woman. She holds her hands up, surrendering to the knight.

"Before you're detained, is there anything you'd like to say, Miss?"

"I'm not here to cause any trouble, I swear. I just have a message for the king. Please, don't hurt me," she pleads.

"Very well, then. I'll take you to the king. Still, this won't justify your intrusion."

Tying her hands behind her back, William leads the woman out of the empty house. He tells his knights to lower their weapons and follow suit. They arrive at the castle's gates and wait for Yuno to meet them there. He arrives with a look of disapproval.

"Why have you brought this demon to my castle? I thought you were told to send her back to Hell."

William nudges the girl forward. "Initially, that was the plan, yes. But she claims to have a message for you."

"Well? What is it then? I don't have all day," Yuno snaps.

Frightened, the woman avoids eye contact as she speaks. "Your Majesty, I know this may sound crazy, but I need you to hear me out. It's about your wife..."

Yuno takes a step forward and glares down at her. No one has ever had the guts to mention his wife right to his face. "What about her? I'd choose my next words with caution if I were you."

"S-She's...um...she's still alive, your Majesty. I swear this on my life," she stammers.

And just like that, Yuno's rage was ignited. He wanted to lunge at the woman for having the nerve to suggest such a thing, but a part of him was curious. "You're telling me that my wife, who's dead body I saw with my own eyes, is alive?! What makes you think that I'm stupid enough to buy this bullshit?! Go to Hell," Yuno hisses, turning on his heel to walk away.

"Wait! Please believe me! I know I'm a stranger, but I've been sent by your queen. She's in danger!" the woman shouts as she falls to her knees.

Yuno spins around to face her. "What's your name?"

"Vanessa."

"Well, Vanessa, let's pretend for a moment that you are telling the truth," he ponders, "Where can I find her?"

To be continued...

Author's Note:

Well, there you have it. That's the first chapter of my upcoming book. Stay tuned for its release.