OH, MY BETROTHED!

The wooden table in the cafeteria cooled my burning cheek as I pressed a cloth to my wounded neck. I felt dizzy and nauseous.

"I can't believe you let a vamp drink from you!" J-Vil exclaimed, the Worry having taken over her face completely.

"Well, I didn't exactly have a choice," I said groggily.

"Of course, you had a choice! Drinking blood from a human is a highly sexual act for a vampire. According to Article 212 of the Global Constitution, no supernatural is allowed to demand a sexual favour from a human in return for any manner of aid whatsoever," she said as she slapped her hand on the table.

That startled me and I straightened up, "I wasn't aware of that."

"How?" she said, baffled, "That's the first thing that our parents teach us. Humans are at a huge disadvantage in the society, so of course we need to know every possible way to protect ourselves."

I had of course read the Global Constitution. But I wasn't a human so I never paid attention to any of the articles that were written in protection of them.

"That asshole played me," I gritted my teeth as I held the cloth tighter, "No wonder it felt so sexual. Can I sue him in the Adelmerion Court?"

She sighed and glanced at the ceiling in exasperation. Her Worry seemed even more aggravated, "Article 212 Clause B: No human may solicit aid from a supernatural in return for sexual favours. Basically, you'll be shooting yourself in the foot."

She pulled out a healing bandage from her bag and helped me dress my wound. She then removed her red woollen scarf and tied it around my neck.

"So, I will be held accountable too?" I asked.

"Yup, if you decide to sue, that is. If you don't, everyone will believe you wanted to do it. And you know how much that is frowned upon."

Rubbing my forehead, I huffed. What the hell had I gotten myself into? I hated to admit it but I should have listened to Ryne.

The venom had lost its effect and my entire body throbbed. Whenever a new mark was branded on my skin, all the marks from before even if they had healed hurt just the same as if they were all connected. It was creepy and painful.

J-Vil sighed and placed a tray loaded with potatoes, rice and gravy in front of me. I pushed it away, feeling nauseous.

"At least drink this," she said, handing me a glass of lime juice.

I sipped slowly and tried to clear my mind. At least Julien kept his promise and gave me the mark. Or else it would have all been for nothing. The juice hit the spot and I relaxed in my chair. Just when I was feeling slightly better, a group of people entered with much flair. Ryne and Yuvien were a part of the group.

"They know each other?" I asked.

"Duh! They are half-brothers as well as best friends," J-Vil replied.

I was taken aback. Eyes wide, I asked, "They are brothers? But, he-"

"Yuvien is popular among his friends but a brat to the lower echelons. And since he's Ryne de's younger brother, he gets away with most of the things he does. De has never had to take action against him before though. That's probably one of the reasons your punishment was so severe. He is extremely protective of his family."

Except the final year students, everyone else called Ryne, 'de'. It was a word which meant multiple things, 'senior in age or skill', 'respected person' as well as 'brother'. I hadn't thought much of it when Yuvien had called him that, as I believed he was just addressing him respectfully.