Since Paris

"So kiss me where I lay down
My hands press to your cheeks
A long way from the playground"

April 2013 Paris

Noelle

When at the age of eighteen I finally decided to take a grip on my life and do what I always wanted, I never could have thought that a six-week cooking class in Paris would turn into this.

Six weeks became eight months. I never thought I'd fall in love with this town, but it happened. Therefore, once I finished the course, I found a studio apartment in the suburbs of Paris, which I paid with the savings I put aside working for W. Mandeville.

Yes, the bakery that became famous because my best friend worked there on weekends.

At the end of the course, Chef Dubois, the teacher, offered me a job in his kitchen brigade.

I don't do much, peel potatoes, wash vegetables and clean after the service, but I've never been happier in my life. I'm learning with my eyes, and every day I was grateful for the opportunity, even though at the end of the day I smelled and my legs and hands hurt.

I felt alive, and I haven't felt that way since my mother died

And today, I was going to see my best friend after so long, because he and the other guys were in Paris for a concert.

I didn't have much time with him unfortunately because his day had a very busy schedule. He arrived in this morning, and from what I hear, he and the guys have been out touring Paris and shooting scenes for the documentary.

I asked for a shift change at work so I could be at their concert tonight, so instead of being a tour guide around town, I was locked in the restaurant kitchen until three in the afternoon.

All just to be able to spend as much time as possible with him. Hoping that my plan will succeed

When my shift is over, I try to get home as fast as I can.

Luckily the metro is not too crowded and in twenty minutes I am at my apartment. I have an appointment with Harry at his hotel at 18 since now he and the rest of the group are at the soundcheck at the Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy where the concert would take place later.

I go in the shower and wash myself to get the smell of cooking off. It takes longer than expected because my hair, besides smelling of fish, is also very knotted, so I have to brush it a lot and use the conditioner twice.

Once I get out of the shower I quickly dry, put on my underwear and move to my room to figure out what to wear.

I opt for a pair of tight black jeans with cuts on the knees and wide white sweater, I also prepare a bag with clothes for the after-show, because if my plan goes well I'll need them.

We're celebrating tonight.

I go back to the bathroom to dry my hair and brush my teeth, and once finished I take from the cabinet above the sink the few makeup products I have to put them in the bag along with the clothes and a pair of black heels I grab from under the bed.

I check the clock on my nightstand and see that it's already 5.15 pm, I really need to go or else I'll be late.

I grab my bag and purse, put on my black ankle boots and leather jacket and step outside my apartment closing the door behind me.