Part 25

Nicole

It was after midday by the time I got home. I was exhausted. I think me and Lily have too much sex? Is that possible? We literally cannot keep our hands off each other. It was so nice waking up next to her this morning after our failed night out last night. I'm over the whole Michelle thing. Our town is small so I'm bound to meet some of Lily's exes. I've slept with her brother and she still doesn't know about it so I of all people cannot hold a grudge.

"Where were you last night?" Mary questioned me as soon as I entered the kitchen.

"Out" I replied taking a seat at the island.

"I was worried" my mother said and I nearly burst into a fit of laughter as our eyes locked. She could clearly read my facial expression.

"What? I was!" She snapped and all I could do was nod. I was too tired to argue.

"Sorry" I finally mumbled.

I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket and as I took it out and read this message from Lily, I couldn't help but smile like an idiot.

I loved waking up next to you this morning. We should make a habit of it 😏 fancy a walk later? x

"What boy are you seeing now?" Mary asked and I looked her square in the eye.

What was she after? She was never interested in my love life? I did get the whole birds and the bees lecture, one too many times. As soon as I grew a pair of tits, she warned me to always use protection because there was no way Mary Ryan was going to become a grandmother in her 40's. Little did she know that I was sleeping with a girl so that wasn't going to be a problem!

"No one, it was Kim" I replied as I slipped my phone back into my pocket. I'll text Lily back when I get up to my room. Not when Mary is watching me like a hawk.

"Oh, something came for you by registered post the other day" my mother said as she walked around me and disappeared from the kitchen for a couple of seconds. I never get post? I was quickly reminded of what is was though when the opened letter was slammed on the table next to me.

"We are pleased to inform you Miss Ryan that your application for a 12 month visa for Australia has been granted as all security checks have passed and we revived the copy of your savings accounts..." my mother said with such venom in her voice.

She didn't even need to look at the letter as she read it out word for word. I feel sick. I almost forgot I had done this application a few months ago. But why the fuck was my mother opening my mail?

"So shall I keep going or are you going to explain yourself?" Mary snapped as she stood only a few feet away from me but she was glaring as though I had murdered someone.

"Why are you opening my letters?" I snapped as I snatched the letter from her hand.

"You disappear for days on end lately Nicole..I thought you were on drugs" My mother snapped and I just laughed. I laughed because if I didn't laugh, I was about to punch an ex cop in the face that also happens to be my mother.

"I'm not taking drugs Mary, for fuck sake" I snapped "Anyway that has nothing to do with my mail?"

She sighed as she threw her hand in the air and sat on the chair I had been sitting at.

"I thought you might of applied to a college or something and I wanted to surprise you with a party" She mumbled.

She seemed sad. Why was she sad? My dad never went to university and he turned out fine. She didn't either. What was the big deal?