Part 12: show must go on

Brendon's POV

"Sarah what do you mean you guys are at the ER?" I asked through the phone, now sitting in a car on the way to a hotel in Las Vegas.

"I don't know B, she was playing and I was setting up for dinner. I didn't hear anything, but I turned to fetch her to eat and then I saw blood. I don't know what happened, and she can't tell us..." She sighed into the phone, I understood what she meant. Tatum has a way of doing things silently, hell she got out of the house well Zack was down the hall for her.

"How is she? How are you?" I asked trying to not show my shock and dismay for all of this. But my first priority is my family not the what happened's and why's.

"She hasn't shed a tear, she's acting like nothing happened. I don't know what goes on in her head. I'm okay, a little shaken up. A little bit of pity for myself but just gotta keep going." She continued, I ran my hands over my face. This is just another thing. Another bad day.

"They have to file a CPS report Bren... the nurse said it's not a bad thing but they have to talk to the people around us. Like Kala, Zack, maybe our parents." She finished talking, I wanted to cry my eyes out. To think that people will have to answer questions on if we are bad parents or neglectful of our child.

"Babe it's gonna be okay. We have nothing to hide, we do all we can." I respond in hopes to calm her but really i've become filled with anxiety. Even though I know it will all be okay, it's the fact that we as parents are being questioned and what if we aren't as good as we think?

"Yeah you're right but this sucks B. They want to sedate her for an MRI to make sure she doesn't have a brain injury if it was a fall. That's all we can assume happened." She continued, so much information. In all honesty it's not our first time around the block with MRI's, sedation, and all things surrounding the hospital. It kinda brings back bad memories.

"Should I fly back?" I asked; in a way that's how we measure things. A strange way of doing things but it worked for us.

"No, no. She's probably gonna get a couple stitches after the MRI and then we will go home." She reassured, in a way I felt bad because of course when I leave this happens. But as well I was relieved I wasn't there to see the children's hospital again, in a way it traumatized me. Watching my kid sick, my wife and I fearing she'd die.

"Wanna talk to dada?" She asked, obvious to Tatum, I smiled at the idea.

"Can we FaceTime? So she can see you," she then asked, I hummed a yes and switched to FaceTime.

"Hi pretty girl, whatcha do?" I waved, she giggled at me. It's good that she has her spirits, even if it's mostly to herself.

"Tell dada he doesn't need to come home, tell him we got it." Sarah spoke; I could tell she'd been crying. It had been a tough night for them. Kala was there with them, which made Zack and I feel better.

"Bbbbb," Tatum whined signing the word 'home'. She had a piece of gaze tapped on her forehead presumably where her cut was. But other than that she seemed fine, as if nothing happened.

"Soon baby, soon..." Sarah soothed, Tatum looked around the room quietly.

"Tell dada, we don't cancel shows! Right B?" Sarah joked, quoting me and my show must go on mentally.

"Oh I know, I know..." I smiled, telling myself they are okay but still feeling bad for being so far during this mess. Tatum looked around not caring about Sarah and I, this was usual.

She lives in her own world most days, never quite focused on us or life. We make her go through the motions of getting ready and activity knowing she'd be just as happy in pajamas playing in the living room with music. But I think we'd like to believe she enjoys it, she likes the outfits Sarah picks and enjoys going out with us to places.

"The doctor just came in babe, I'll call you later..." Sarah spoke quickly, I said a simple goodbye and love you before the call ended. I then put my phone back into my pocket.

"Their gonna be okay," Zack commented, I nodded but in a way I wish this wasn't our life. I wish we didn't have to worried about our 4 year old as if she was 2 and I feel like a shit parent thinking that but it's a lot of hard days like this.

"Yeah... she a tough kid."

"Always," I smiled, for all she's been through she's beyond resilient. Better than Sarah and I have, it's hard when you have dreams for your child that might never happen. But we'd be damned if we aren't gonna fight for her, even if it's a hard road.

Text Messages:

Sarah:

Somebody got a new friend

Brendon:
Oh that's adorable

"I think she's gonna be okay..." I smiled showing the photo to Zack as we pulled up to the hotel.

"Oh she's got a new friend, you know she's gonna carry him everywhere now." Zack laughed, I nodded.