C H A P T E R F O U R

Song: Beginning by Joeboy

CHIDINMA GENTLY TOUCHED the forehead of a little 3-year-old girl and shook her head

CHIDINMA GENTLY TOUCHED the forehead of a little 3-year-old girl and shook her head. The girl's head was burning to the touch and she definitely had a fever. She looked at the mother who held her daughter tight as she caressed her hair.

"Hey, get some sleep, okay? I'm just going to talk to your mom outside," Chidinma said to the little girl quietly. The mother looked extremely worried as she stepped out with her.

"Everything will be fine, she just has a fever. Nothing that Tylenol and rest can't fix. Her temperature is a little high, so get a cloth and soak it in cold water. Wring it and use it to warm up her body if she's feeling feverish, "

"It's just that she was a premature baby. I just worry every time she gets sick," The tired mom admitted.

"I was a premature baby too and even though I always got sick, I always got better. She'll be fine,"

"Thank you so much,"

Chidinma headed to the staff room and banged her head on the fridge. Multiple times. Ah ah, small fever and you dey bring her come hospital. Jesus. You no get Tylenol for house? (Pidgin: A small fever and you bring her to the hospital. Don't you have Tylenol at home?)

Her coworker and best friend, Imani with her peach nurse outfit, that showed off her ass by the way, came in and smiled.

"Let me guess. Another paranoid white mom."

"Yep. The kid had a fever,"

"My Arabic mom would have force-fed me Tylenol and told me to take care as she left for work,"

"Tell me about it," Chidinma looked at her sneakers and wondered if she should announce that she was dating again so that when she would get married, it would seem more believable, "So, I'm dating someone," Imani turned from the coffee machine and raised an eyebrow.

"Name, address, ethnicity Instagram handle, social security number. Everything. Now," Imani replied in shock.

"Xante Deliano. I haven't been to his house yet. Italian. How would I know that? We've been dating for 6 months." Chidinma said in response, her voice lined with humor.

"And his dick?" Imani asked with a whisper.

"I'm waiting till marriage and you know that,"

"Is it serious?" She asked more seriously, "It's just that after Tim, you were broken. And I don't ever wanna see you like that,"

Chidinma smiled at her best friend.

"After Tim, I was scared to even admit that I loved Xante, you know. What if it fails? What if I end up even more broken and shattered than I did after Tim? But, he made feel loved and safe. I can laugh and joke and be myself. He's the one, "Chidinma told her best friend, upset that she had to lie to her.