Ch.26 Put a spell on me

Chapter 26

Mavi didn't know how she felt about Owen's confession.

He had heard everything.... But he never answered.

Owen's eyes searched Mavi's gray orbs for any hint that she understood just how much she meant to him. But when Mavi took a step back from his embrace, he felt a terrible shudder run over his spine.

"Mavi..." Owen called to her gently as he reached out for her hand.

Mavi shook her head slowly as if she was in shock. Owen couldn't think straight. What was he doing? Why did he tell her that? He thought he had made up his mind to stay away from her.

Just then, Alec's voice rang out through the air as he approached them slowly.

"Are you two going to stand out here all day?" Alec asked as he squinted in the bright sunlight. As soon as he saw the expressions on Owen and Mavi's face, he halted.

"What?" He asked looking back and forth. "What did I miss?"

Next to him, Owen heard Mavi sniffle. He turned his head to check on her when she took off running towards Alec.

"I want to go home," Mavi begged as Alec caught her in his arms. "Please. I don't want to be here. I need to go back to the house."

Alarmed by her sudden outburst, Alec looked to his brother. Owen's face was unreadable. He stared at Mavi as he stood still in his spot.

"Alec," Mavi called his attention away from his brother. "Please take me back."

"Okay, okay," Alec said to calm her. "Let's.....let's get in the car. I'll tell mom we're leaving."

Don't touch her, Owen suddenly growled through the mind-link.

Alec froze, What the fuck is happening?

Take her home and leave her alone. Do not touch her.

Yeah, got the drill....still don't know what's happening.

Owen's jaw hurt from how hard he was clenching it. He hated that Mavi had run to Alec. No....she had run to Alec to get away from him.

As Alec walked Mavi back to the car, Owen stormed off towards the ice sheets. Mavi saw him walking away in the rearview mirror as her heart hurt in her chest. There was still a part of her that wanted to run after him and scream and yell if it meant having him near her. But the greater part of her needed to be away from him to be able to breathe.

Alec put the jeep in drive and drove towards the house. Mavi leaned her head against the cold glass and stared out into the white snow covered hills. It was only mind-day but Mavi felt as if she needed a nap to combat how emotionally drained she was.

"Mavi.....did he hurt you?" Alec couldn't help but ask.

He waited for her to answer. She hadn't made a sound since she got in the car, it was unlike her.

After a long pause, Mavi answered.

"Yes...." She said. Her voice barely whispered. "He hurt me."

Alec's hands gripped the steering wheel tightly. He knew his brother like the back of his own hand. He couldn't imagine Owen doing anything to harm Mavi.....

"I gave him my heart and he broke it," Mavi said with her eyes still on the road.

Alec glanced at her to make sure he had heard right, "What?"

"I love him," Mavi sighed.

Alec knew there was something going on between Mavi and Owen, but he didn't think it was this serious. When had this happened?