Chapter 169: Fifth Life - Without A Home

"I'm sorry to be leaving like this. I didn't get the chance to give you anything for your birthday." I say to Yi Fei at the gates of Invigorating Essence.

She points to her chest. "You've already given me the most precious present there is."

Oh, she means the Ruby of Eternal?

"Your friendship," she smiles.

"Ha, right... Well, if you need anything be sure to let me know."

"Of course, after all you have the Marvel Sphere. You are undefeatable now."

"Shh! We said we wouldn't talk about that, remember?"

Yi Fei laughs then says, "I was hoping Yang Zi Huo would attend my birthday celebration yesterday. That way you two could find time to talk things through."

Less than enthused, I pretend to smile. "It's fine. Me and Yang Zi Huo... are done. There's no need to bring it up anymore."

"Did something happen?"

"No." I shake my head. "I'm leaving now! I'll come visit sometime."

"Do you know where you're going? Where can I reach you?"

"I think I'm going to take a break from traveling for awhile. I just don't know where I'll be for now. I'll send word when I resettle somewhere."

I've had many homes throughout the lifetimes I've lived. Most of them were shared with Yang Zi Huo. Naturally, I've come to associate him with the feeling of home. But now...

Now that he has moved on, I have to find a new way to define home.

I don't want to intrude Chuju and her family, so Xue Hua is not a choice. Yang Zi Huo is not at Bleak Night, so it's not like I'd find that place enjoyable without him there. Shui Jing Mountain is Yang Zi Huo's treasured place and where... we...

Anyway, I can't go there.

I have no place to return to.

Invigorating Essence is a safe haven I can always reside and spend time with Yi Fei. However, with all the restrictions and Yi Fei busy with sect leader matters, it didn't feel like home. Maybe if one day Yi Fei isn't Sect Leader anymore, we can move away and live together somewhere else.

Living in a busy city like Yeguang City would be fun. But without anyone to take around on the town, it would just be incredibly lonely. A tranquil life in the country side sounds peaceful, but I'd be alone with my thoughts and that's not something I'm fond of at the moment.

Near the borders of a neighboring country, exists a town for travelers and oddities. I've stayed there multiple times and found the dusty desert storms unbearable, but there was always interesting people coming through, selling exotic goods. The woman running an inn there is a close acquaintance of mine. She wouldn't mind my presence if I offer to help out with basic chores.

With that in mind, I begin traveling west to the border.

For a few months, nothing interesting happened. I stayed with Yuan Laoban at her inn, helping with cleaning and serving the customers. I have good experience with this, remembering how I've done this type of work for Grandma in the Underworld. I miss her. I even miss Ji Nian, that nagging, old mother. 

Fortunately, most of the customers are manageable. Yuan Laoban usually steps in to handle the problem people, and tends to shield me from their mistreatment.

If she only knew how badly I wanted to beat them up.

I'd much rather be the boss than a lowly server. Perhaps I'll start my own tavern and sell my wine again. I constantly waver between being the boss and a humble assistant since being boss means I'd have to bear more responsibilities and that would lead to too many headaches.